Going from a jailbroken iPad 1 to a fresh iPad 2

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by TheDoct0r, Mar 17, 2011.

1. TheDoct0r macrumors newbie

I am upgrading from an iPad 1 to an iPad 2 (once I find one I can buy).

Is there a way to backup or migrate all the apps, settings, etc from my old ipad to my new one? I wouldn't mind keeping both...if not for the fact that my friend is buying my iPad 1, and the money from that sale is helping me get the 2.

I wouldn't mind having to wait for a jailbreak on the 2 to re-download all the apps, but if there is an easier way I wouldn't mind doing that. I figure it won't be as easy as syncing with iTunes.

2. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

just back up the iPad 1 and then sync your iPad 2 and set it up from a the last backup of the iPad 1. It will sync everything that does not involve a JB

3. manddarran macrumors newbie

i already miss my jailbreak stuff. the ipad is speedy, but is so locked down.

4. webcrush macrumors regular

I believe you'll need to upgrade the iPad-1 to OS 4.3, which will un-JB it, backup, and then restore on the iPad-2. Make sure to have the latest iTunes as well

5. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Just backup your ipad as normal, them sync your new iPad 2 and restore from backup. Everything will be there just as it was on your iPad (everything non Jailbreaking related).

6. TheDoct0r thread starter macrumors newbie

By "non-jailbreak related" does that mean any programs I might have installed via cydia or otherwise? it's not a big deal if those don't get transfered over, just annoying to have to wait to get some of them back.

7. outphase macrumors 65816

Cydia is clearly jailbreak related.

8. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Correct, everything installed by Cydia will be gone, if you want to backup those, you need to do I separately, there are some Application that you can get to do that, the one I used and recommend is PKGbackup, however this app does not backup your settings, all it does it make a list all the app you got installed, and once you re-jailbreak your new device, import that list back and reinstall everything in one process (you have to manually re-set your settings), there is also Chronos and APPBackup, but I haven't personally used those.

You still need to way for the current firmware and Hardware to be Jailbroken, this is the first time we encounter the A5 processor, I've seen some Jailbreak already working on 4.3 iOS, but an exploit on the A5 need to be found in order to make it untethered on the iPad2. You also need to give developers time to updates the Apps to work on the new iOS, a lot of API changed.

9. Grubster macrumors member

I recommend NOT restoring from backup. I was having so many glitches restoring from a jail broken iPad 1. I had to restore again and setup the iPad 2 as new. Now it works fantastic. I read others had similar issues.

10. TheDoct0r thread starter macrumors newbie

Will I have to upgrade to 4.3 in order to backup and restore my new iPad 2? Or will it be able to transfer the apps (don't really carea bout everything else) if the backup is from 4.2?

11. romeo.xk macrumors 6502a

You can backup your iPad, and then restore your iPad 2 from that backup, but just remember than any app you got from the jailbreak will be gone...