going from a macbook to an iMAC

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bigjnyc, Jun 26, 2008.

1. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Recently i had a hotel mess up my macbook when i checked it in. After filing a claim and an investigation they decided to cut me a check for a new macbook, full story here:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=5662554#post5662554

so anyways I have decided to use the check and buy an iMac then wait for revisions and get a macbook later on. i have a few questions:

1- i get a corporate discount through my job it comes up as EPP on the apple website can i get this discount in store? i hate waiting for things. and what do i have to show them?

2- can i clone my hard drive onto the iMac or will it be different because of the drivers and such?

3- if #2 doesn't work how easy is it to migrate all my files and settings using time machine (i have it backing up on my time capsule)

Thanks in advance.

i am debating between the 3.06 and the 2.8 24" 320gb hdd is enough for me so it comes down to the video card, i just use my mac for fun web browsing, chatting, email, itunes, watching movies, light video editing, light photo editing.... so i'm leaning towards the 2.8 since I dont really need the extra video card power.

2. bigjnyc thread starter macrumors 601

bigjnyc

3. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

1 - Call an Apple Store and ask.
    2 & 3 - A clone from MB to iMac may be somewhat problematic, but Migration Assistant will work just fine between the two.

4. iamvexed macrumors member

I can't help you with your first question (aside from mentioning that I just bought an iMac using the education discount, and didn't have to show them anything).

But in response to your second question, I suggest using OSX's Migration Assistant, which is an application located in the Utilities folder. Here's a screen shot of what comes up when you open Migration Assistant. I just moved things from my PowerBook to my iMac using it. I was very happy with the result.

I hope all goes well for you!

Attached Files:

5. ggibson913 macrumors 6502a

ggibson913

Use Migration Assistant if you can

I am also buying an iMac and going from a macbook to the desktop. I have found the migration assistant is veyr helpful. Just be careful when cloning applicaitons you don't want to create two versions.

That assumes the old one can start. If it can't then there are kits that you can get to install your HD into an external drive witha USB interface. Then just plug in and copy the files. Hope that helps.

6. bigjnyc thread starter macrumors 601

bigjnyc

yeah the old one works fine, the display just has a line going down the right side and its cracked.

So i have to run migration assistant on the macbook first back everything up then run it on the imac?
    i will be saving everything to my time capsule hard drive.

and i guess it will back up all my applications that was going to be my next question.