Going from an iPad1 to an iPad3, need some help

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Sylon, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Sylon macrumors 68020

Sylon

I am currently using a 1st gen iPad. I have a 3rd gen iPad coming in the mail, will be here any day now. However, the computer my iPad1 was originally synced to was a PC laptop. Since that time, I have made the switch to a Macbook Pro. I'm worried about syncing my iPad1 to my MBP and losing apps, data, etc. I just tried syncing it with my new MBP and it says that for apps, it'll remove everything thats not already on the iTunes. Well, I dont think I have any apps saved on my iTunes from iOS devices, so wouldn't that wipe everything off the iPad?

So my questions are:

1.) How can I transfer all my apps and stuff from my iPad1 to my iPad3 without losing anything?

2.) Being I'm deployed, I have a strict internet data limit. How can I transfer my iPad1 data to my iPad3 without using a ton of internet bandwidth?

Thanks, trying to get everything figured out before my new iPad gets here.

2. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

Somewhere on top of the menu bar in iTunes you can authorize that new MBP to your list of computers allowed with your iTunes account and then you won't lose all your apps.
    I would also encourage you to backup your iPad 1 to iCloud and you can then restore your new iPad via iCloud without any trouble.

Of course this would be a problem for you as you would need Internet for that but the first way you don't but for a second to authorize the computer.

Enjoy your new iPad.

3. turbotoes macrumors regular

Do you still have access to the original pc? If so, you can copy the 'music\itunes folder' to the MacBook and tell iTunes to use that folder, that way you still have access to all the stuff on your iPad 1 and will have the option to set up the new iPad using the backup of the old one.

4. Sylon thread starter macrumors 68020

Sylon

I will try to use it thru iCloud, I do have a place I can go to for free wifi. Anything I should with the original iPad to make sure everything is synced to iCloud?

Unfortunately I don't. Thats back home.

5. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

Just go to the iCloud app in settings and make sure everything is on and then click synch with iCloud.
    If you lose a app or two you can go into the AppStore app under purchased and re download it for free.

When I upgraded from my iPad 1 to the new one it was very easy with iCloud.

Good luck.

6. Sylon thread starter macrumors 68020

Sylon

Thanks I'll give it a try. There are a couple places on base that has free wifi, looks like I'll be spending the day unboxing there, lol.

7. Sylon thread starter macrumors 68020

Sylon

So my new iPad arrived a day later than I was hoping, so unfortunately I can't even turn it on for 2 days while I'm stuck at work.

I do have another question though. Being that I'll be doing the iCloud back-up, how much data does a full iCloud back-up use? The back-up data for my iPhone is 1GB, so am I guessing right that the iPad will be similar? So I'll be sitting and waiting for ~1GB of data to upload, then download again?

Like I've metioned, I have a data limit for my room internet. Trying to get an idea how this will all work. Thanks.

8. Sylon thread starter macrumors 68020

Sylon

I think I'm allowed to double post in my own thread, right? lol

So, to update, I didn't bother with the iCloud update because it wouldn't have brought over my apps anyway. So I did an iTunes backup and that sort of worked.

So, what I've learned from all this: stop buying new computers because Apple didn't think of that when they created this whole system. God forbid you buy a new computer and have to sync your iOS devices to it. If you do, God help you. Every time I have purchased a new iOS device, I've had a new computer. I've only purchased 5 new computers in 10 years, and this iPad marks my 4th iOS device, so you can see that I need to stop buying new computers apparently because if I get a new iPhone/iPad I'm screwed.