Going from an iPhone 5 to a 7 soon... biggest difference?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KUguardgrl13, Mar 25, 2017.

1. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Hey all! I'm just about ready to take advantage of T-Mobile's two lines for $100 and finally leave my parents' plan. I currently have an iPhone 5 that is four years old and starting to show its age, mainly with battery life. I know a lot has changed with smartphones over the past four years, but what are the major differences? Looking for a recap to help me get hyped! :)

2. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

Depending on what size iPhone 7 you choose, the major differences are the stereo speakers, improved screen resolution over 5, extended battery life, 3D Touch, and a much faster processor.

http://www.apple.com/iphone-7/specs/

3. KUguardgrl13 thread starter macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Probably the regular 7. No phablets for me.

4. daynoock macrumors member

I went from a 6 to a 7 and I notice a big difference - it's super quick, the camera is brilliant! The new home button takes a bit of getting used to (but this should improve with future iPhones) and the screen is great

So going from an ip5 to a 7, you'll notice a huge difference, everything will run better and smoother... but then again it's still an iPhone.

I used to work in a phone store and the way I'd explain it is - you currently have an ok Ford, it does the job but could be better... you're about to get a Ferrari, does the same job but is so much nicer

5. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Battery life will be significantly better. The phone will absolutely scream. My housemate has the 7 and it's ballistically quick compared to my 5S (which itself has about double the CPU performance of your iPhone 5).

Not that the iPhone 5 or 5S are exactly intolerable on iOS 10, but you'll be amazed just how quick the iPhone 7 is. It seems to react before you even input what you want it to do.

The camera will be a massive step up, waterproofing for peace-of-mind, much nicer screen... it's just a fabulous phone in every aspect.

6. Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

Are you still using a iPhone 5S o_O!!???

7. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Yep, it does the job fine. I also have a 2012 15" cMBP. Wanna throw some shots at that too? :p

8. macintoshmac macrumors 65816

macintoshmac

They still are surprisingly nimble with iOS 10, both the 5 and 5s. So, what's with the eye? :confused:

5s is capable of taking the Watch too, so that extends the longevity of the phone till the time Apple decides to introduce deliberate delays in user interface experience.

9. Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

Nothing against.i also have a iPhone 5s running ios 9.3.5 just fine, love the design factor

10. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

Is it really that shocking the 5s still performs efficiently to you? Considering you're not even running the latest verion iOS.

11. Sunny1990, Mar 27, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2017

Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

what really shocks me is a person buying 5 gimmick watches of same color same generation :confused:, by the way i love my iPhone 5S,gonna jailbreak it some day

12. KUguardgrl13 thread starter macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Psh. I still have a 2009 cMBP lying around! To be fair it's not my daily driver, and it can't update to the latest Mac OS.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 27, 2017 ---
    By the way, I got my rose gold iPhone 7 yesterday! A big improvement over the 5! It's almost 8pm, and I still have a ton of battery left!

13. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

Lots of people are using that and even older models. It's really not that unusual. I know a few people who still use a 4s.

14. deano1972 macrumors 6502a

deano1972

I went from a 5s to a 7 and the biggest difference in every day use is the screen size and battery life