Going from Android to iPhone - what will I miss?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by shadewind, Sep 19, 2010.

1. shadewind macrumors newbie

Hello,

My first smartphone was an HTC Hero and since that, I've been an avid Android supporter. I love Android in principle but in practice, there are some problems. The two biggest problems are the lack of paid apps in Sweden (where I live) and the lack of updates for most phones older than one year.

This has made me seriously make the move over to the iPhone, especially since getting a MacBook Pro.

My background is as a developer and general computer enthusiast. My question is, if I make the move to iOS, what will I miss from Android? We're talking about reality now, not theoretical differences, those I can google.

Note: Android haters need not bother :)

2. danny31292 macrumors newbie

GPS and wifi tethering. Maybe the notification bar but I find the apple push notifications more reliable for im, etc.

3. ryan0402 macrumors 6502

widgets unless you jailbreak flash again unless you hailbreak

4. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

His question is "What will I miss?” Not, what will I be thankful for not being on my phone any more?

5. Perihelion macrumors regular

I just gave up my HTC Hero for the iPhone 4 and while the experience is tagibly different, you won't miss your Hero after about an hour. The notification bar was handy but honestly I stopped missing it after 1 day. I also noticed that I burn through way more data now because its so easy to consume data on the apps in iOS.

6. draz macrumors 6502a

You will miss your carrier installing and locking your phone to its own carrier apps which you can't remove easily.

Welcome to real freedom?

7. WoodrowCall macrumors 6502

WoodrowCall

I'm a recent convert from Android, for pretty much the same reasons as you. I went from the Droid to the Droid X, and just found that Android isn't living up to its potential. There weren't good apps coming out, terrible carrier bloatware, and just general mounting disappointment.
    So far, I don't miss much. I was never that big a fan of widgets because they don't really make that much sense after using my phone for a year. It's not a desktop, so I'm not staring at it often, which means I didn't need things killing my battery for no reason. I do miss Google Talk as an actual client and turn-by-turn GPS for free. Also, I was able to mount my X as a USB drive, which I don't think I can do with my iPhone.
    Overall, I'm very happy with my choice, and I don't think you'll miss much.