Going From Brawl to Soul Calibur 4?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by bobber205, Jul 30, 2008.

1. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

I am getting a 360 tomorrow and I would really like to get SC4 as my first 360 game.

But as for fighting games I've never played a fighting game that wasn't a Smash Bros game for any time at all.

Am I in for something I won't like at all?

2. nintendude macrumors 6502

from what i know, sc4 is basically like brawl in stamina mode w/ better graphics. personally i dont really like it (being a dedicated nintendo fanboy) but you could give it a try

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I got a copy of SC4 shipped to me sooner than I thought (PS3) and it arrived today (not officially available in shops till this friday here)..

It's a fantastic beat em up, however I'm a veteran SC player.

If you don't try and compare as the two are really too different to do so, and appreciate SC for what it is, then there is a lot to be happy about here.

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I haven't played 4 yet but if it's anything like the previous games - it's nowt like Smash Bros at all! It's a much slower pace of fighting more akin to Tekken.

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Well that's why I said they are too different to compare really.

I really don't like Tekken at all (apart from the first game). I much prefer the SC series / virtua fighter / doa etc.

6. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

SC is tekken with swords.....Just imagine wielding a sword whiles fighting and you got it.

SC4 is a good game.....the guest appearance spice it up a bit. I'm getting the PS3 version with vader.

Bless

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Actually Vader is pretty savage and works well within the game, and I really enjoy the create a character feature of this new one.

Certainly better than SC3's extra licensed characters (bar Link)...

Unlocked most of the bonus characters now.

Graphics are great, the only thing I don't like is the "fight" text which is not as juxtaposed as well as it was in previous installments.

8. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

Just the other day I played SC4 for the first time at a friend's house.

Smash is pretty unique as far as fighting games go... SC4 will take some getting used to. It's an alright game, though not as 'fun' (at least initially) as Smash. I have to say, playing as Yoda is a hoot :).

The true replay value of Soul Calibur comes from the character creation mode. I haven't used it much in 4, but in 3 we had a blast making Scooby Doo and Apple Computer-based characters (e.g. Freddy Jones wielding tambourines and Steve Jobs chucking bombs as a bandit :D). With any luck we'll carry on the tradition and create even better renditions this time around.

9. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

Has anyone given the online fighting a try??

Oh... and where is my free month of gold? :p

10. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

You can't really compare these two games any more than you would compare Mario Kart with Forza.They might be in the same over-arching genre, but at best they are 3rd cousin material.:)

I have yet to pick up SC4, but will grab it this weekend for the PS3. I'm stoked to try Vader and Starkiller out.
    I read that Yoda [the 360 exclusive character] is broken in that a lot of attacks literally go over his head and he cannot be grabbed at all.

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

^ Yeah but I bet when both Vader & Yoda are inevitably (screenshots of the two fighting each other exist) made as downloadable content for each other console platform - like me you'll be unable to resist the 'force' to download him :D

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/245122.html

proof that the two can co-exist on one system (albeit beating the crap out of each other).

12. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

That shot is from the secret, in-development, Wii version. That version has both characters. ;)

13. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Well, duh.:rolleyes:

:D
    Two more weeks til The Clone Wars hits theaters in the US. Can't wait.

14. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Got it on the 30th I like, A lot better than the 3rd one, more fleshed out, and online play! I don't think I would be playing it much without the online play, and the customizable characters. I've always been a fan of the SC series, but haven't had any competition.

As far as gameplay, way different that Melee, but that doesn't mean it's a bad thing. It's more traditional in the fighting game category. It's got kickass characters and kick as moves. Like the guy said earlier, it's like tekken with weapons, but there are still many things that make each their own. I tried getting into but Tekken, but SC is so much more kick ass. As far as tourny play for this game I dunno how the elite have ruled yet. I know the second and 3rds ones were said to be way too broken.

Either way I would highly recommend, it's an amazing game. And if this is your first, you'll be blown away. It's a really intricate game with a well balanced fighting system but also button smashing "fun-ness". I guess in a sense, it's very similar to Smash :rolleyes: Go get it!

15. Mr. lax macrumors 6502