iPad Going from Cellular to WiFi only, missing GSP?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by eagleglen, Mar 23, 2016.

1. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

I'm considering going from an Air 2 to the new 9.7 Pro, but to help save on cost, I'm thing of forgoing the Cellular option. On the surface this seems reasonable considering how little I use it, but I just realized I'll also loose the GPS chip. I've had an iPad since the original and I remember making the decision to get the cellular model just for this reason and I've had cellular version ever since. I wanted to ask if handoff, or by way of some other method, the GPS signal from your iPhone can be used by the iPad, particularly in the Maps app? I use the map app often and trying to imagin it not knowing my location seems like a big hinderence. Does it use WiFi some how to get an approximate location, and is so, how accurate is it? Are there any other disadvantages to having the WiFi only model?

While I'm at it, I might as well also ask if anyone has gotten AT&T to permit tethering from an iPhone on the grandfathered unlimited data plan? Having this plan on my iPhone 6s Plus is what makes the cellular iPad seem unnecessary.

2. 1Zach1 macrumors 65816

1Zach1

Hmmm...didn't realize the WiFi only iPad didn't have GPS. I'm honestly not sure I'd use GPS on an iPad but it does give me pause about going that direction....

3. eagleglen thread starter macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

Without GPS, pretty much any app that uses location services I suspect is hindered.

4. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

If you use the map often then yes you should go with the cellular model that provides GPS. Although the Wifi will provide location-based but it won't be as accurate as using a GPS.

I've had a WiFi model... And using the maps not a good experience compared to the cellular model. I use my iPP w/ T-Mobile... I have the 5GB plan for 10 bucks that spans for 5 months, practically a gig a month. But I'm actually with AT&T, didn't want to add the data plan.