Going from Developers Preview to GM

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by macatak911, Jun 25, 2013.

1. macatak911 macrumors regular

For those that have been around the block with the Previews to GM in previous OS X releases...are you able to upgrade from the Preview straight to the GM when it is released?

2. jamesjingyi macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

It says on the support we site that you can't... I'm pretty sure I read... Somewhere...

You could make a backup with time machine and restore that to your 'new' Mavericks OS when its released but this requires a system wipe...

3. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

Which is odd since it has no problem letting you install a DP over a previous generation OS (ML->Mav DP)

4. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Yes, contrarily to what Apple says in the seed notes, I have never had a problem upgrading from a preview to the GM and beyond.

5. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

The last preview is the GM, at least that's the way it was for Lion/ML. If things work the same as before then from the last preview you can continue to use the OS as normal and will receive updates like normal.

6. adcx64 macrumors 65816

adcx64

This. I've ran the "developer preview" version of the GM of Lion for months after the release.

7. tywebb13 macrumors 68000

Indeed this is true.

But I can see why apple would say that. Upgrading from DPs to GM and beyond may leave some bugs from the DPs behind.

I had this problem from mountain lion DPs updated to GM and beyond. Occasionally I had kernel panics and tried to clean it up with disk utility, techtool pro and disk warrior, but ultimately the only way that worked which would preserve my data was a full restore from a lion backup with time machine and then an upgrade with the mountain lion GM. I haven't had a kernel panic since.

8. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

I agree that it's always best to do a clean install of the GM when it's released.

9. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Were you seriously that cheap that you held off paying $30 for an OS to run a Mac that costs well over $1000? ;)

10. adcx64 macrumors 65816

adcx64

I did apple a favor by testing their software, they owe it to me:p

11. Crisis macrumors member

I think we can, but I choose to do a clean installation after it is released.

12. tywebb13 macrumors 68000

Maybe apple should be honest about it rather than perpetuating the white lie that you can't, and simply say you shouldn't for reasons I outlined above.

13. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

Usually I remember the GM update just installing over the last build release and had no problems. However I do not recall if I got further OS updates using the GM.

14. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

I remember getting updates as usual after having the GM installed.

----------

I agree they should re-word it. I'm sure they say it so no incompatible code is left around, but I think most of us do a clean install just to be safe.

15. tywebb13 macrumors 68000

apple have responded to this issue with the following comment:

"It turns out that comment in the document no longer applies (and we'll change it in another rev). If you install the developer preview you should be able to install the final release just fine. Always keep backups of important data, of course."

16. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Yes, exactly. It won't be an issue. Apple is just mentioning that for support reasons...
    Apple even states that you cannot go back from iOS 7 beta to iOS 6..but we all know this isn't true..

17. Lolito macrumors 6502

Lolito

it's never been an issue, is just another regular osx update, from dp to gm to further versions. No problem.

18. jafingi macrumors 65816

jafingi

The GM will just show up as a normal update. No worries!

19. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

Doing it may be ok but left over bugs would from the DP like the poster above would make it pointless to do.