Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
I used to play a lot earlier, and from time to time my band used to rent studio time, but this is ten years ago.

Nowadays I still play some music and me and a friend of mine is writing quite a bit music and records it with GarageBand (version 5.1).

I feel GarageBand is a bit limiting, and I also have gotten "your project is now reached it's maximum limit", a few times, even tho it's only like 5 mins.
File sizes for projects are usually less than 200MB?!?

My setup is a MacBookPro i5 with 4GB RAM, I have a Native Instruments Audio Kontroller One and a M-Audio Midisport.

My tracks are usually a few tracks miced up with a Sound Engineering sEX1 large diaphragm mic ( acoustic guitars and vocals), electric guitar (usually thru the NI AK1, since my room doesn't really fare well with micing up my old MusicMan tube amp without scaring the neighbours). So I use software amp simulation in GB. (same with bass)

I also record keyboards, but thru midi.

For now I've only used drum samples, but I have a friend that are willing to add drums to my tracks later on, and he'll be using a digital drum set, so I guess that will be recorded thru USB or midi??

When I played earlier we used to use Logic Audio (ver 3 or 4 I believe, OS8/9 on a G4 at least) for some home recordings, so I'm pretty familiar with older Logic Software.

Is Logic Express my best choice, or should I consider something else?
Logic Express is priced at $200 now, and I really don't wanna spend much more than that.
Is Logic Express better in terms of performance, since my i5 is running at full blast when recording (fans ramping up and GB is using 200-250% of CPU power, I usually have 500MB-1GB RAM free, so it ain't a problem). Scrolling while recording also seems super sluggish.
I need something that does audio+midi with a good support for amp simulation and effects.

I remember back in the days we backed up the tracks unmodified (so we could revert back) then added VST effects and saved it as new tracks so the machine shouldn't collapse :D, is there a feature that makes it easy in Logic Express or shouldn't that be a problem with amateur projects like this?

Is there any other upgrades that I should get? Building a DAW is out of the question, since I cannot really justify its cost and the MBP is ten times faster that what people used ten years ago :D

Thanks for any input!

dubstar

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2008
Logic Express is a good start.... look on ebay, you should be able to get an UNOPENED, new version for under the $200 mark.

You really have nothing to lose by not going straight to Logic Studio. You can upgrade for the difference in price. That's what I did, again.... purchased the upgrade on ebay. Brand New.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Logic Express is a good start.... look on ebay, you should be able to get an UNOPENED, new version for under the $200 mark.

I'd hope you can get a copy for under $200. Apples sells logic express for $199. If you Google you can find slight discounts off that price but I'd stay away from eBay, lots of pirated copies there.

Logic Express is the best step up from Garage Band. Logic will directly open GB projects so you don't loose any work. It's a big step up to. GB was easy to learn and use, Logic required some study but the basic concepts are the same.

Best advice is to download the user manual for anything you are thinking about buying an read t before you buy.

I agree with the above. o bother with "Studio". If you decide you need it later you can upgrade for the difference in price. It will take you a long time to learn all of Express.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I'll be a bit "contrary" here and suggest "Cubase Essentials" instead of Logic Express.

It will work with all your VST stuff, can be had for $99 in a "student" version, and even has an AutoTune plugin.

Someone remarked that it takes a while to learn Logic Express. Of course Cubase is far more powerful than GarageBand, but in my opinion it will have a much more intuitive interface and easier learning curve than Logic.

dubstar

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2008
I'd hope you can get a copy for under $200. Apples sells logic express for $199.

Ha. Ha. Ha.

Say what you will about ebay, you just have to use common sense. If it's a seller with 15 sells, then avoid it.

But if it's a power seller with over 5000 sells, and 99% positive feedback, then I'd say it's legit.

I have purchased a lot of software, all 100% brand new, legit, and unopened on ebay for far less than retail.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
I'll be a bit "contrary" here and suggest "Cubase Essentials" instead of Logic Express.

It will work with all your VST stuff, can be had for $99 in a "student" version, and even has an AutoTune plugin.

Someone remarked that it takes a while to learn Logic Express. Of course Cubase is far more powerful than GarageBand, but in my opinion it will have a much more intuitive interface and easier learning curve than Logic.

Looked into Cubase Essential, seems nice, but it says there is no vst compressor?
Compressor is a must have as a guitarist.

Seems like I'm gonna go for Logic Express, even tho it's a bit more expensive than Cubase Essential.

MonkeyET

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2009
Indio, CA
I am interested in upgrading in the same fashion. I currently have a Mbox2 and do not prefer to use ProTools. I like that Garage band will work with your internal hard-drive instead of having to use an external. Have you experienced any latency with larger projects by recording to your boot drive? What is the speed of your HD in your MBP?

Does anyone know of any restrictions/recommendations for size and RPMs for best performance? I have a 13" 2010 MBP and want to put in a WD Black 500GB 7200 RPM drive to start with GB until I get my school funds and upgrade to Logic.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Does anyone know of any restrictions/recommendations for size and RPMs for best performance? I have a 13" 2010 MBP and want to put in a WD Black 500GB 7200 RPM drive to start with GB until I get my school funds and upgrade to Logic.

How many tracks to you plan to record and play simultaneously. I think if just a handful you are OK

MonkeyET

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2009
Indio, CA
My interface only allows two inputs simultaneously. As far as the total track count, I would say 10+? I am only in a trio, but I would want to double the vocal and guitar tracks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.