Going from i5 to i7. Have an i5 now!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by olletsocmit, Oct 24, 2010.

1. olletsocmit macrumors 6502

olletsocmit

I just got a new mid-2010 MacBook Pro about 4 months ago now. At the time i saw very strapped for cash and it was all i could afford. I recently got a new job making a lot more $ now. I really want the quad core i7 2.66 now. The processor is the 1st reason and the 512mb video card is the 2nd. I have my MBP plugged into my 32" Sony Bravia 75% of the time. I watch movies and tv shows on it while i do work on my Mac. It would be Very nice to have better picture. I am thinking about doing two 22" monitors soon too. Im not sure how good my current Mac will look.

I am not sure about how to sell my current 2010 i5 2.4ghz MacBook Pro. Is it even worth it at this point?? Will it be able to get ne thing close for it? I would include Adobe CS5 Msster collection and a bunch of other software with it. All pre-installed. It could easily pass for Brand New. Would be hard to tell that it was used to someone (i would tell them of course).

At this point... should i just upgrade to 8 gigs of ram and stick with this? What are your thoughts & ideas?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Sorry to ruin your party but 2.66GHz i7 is dual core, just like your 2.4GHz i5 is. The only difference is 266MHz in clock speed and 1MB of cache. The extra VRAM won't help either.

Wait for next gen and then decide. Upgrading now would be nothing else but waste of money

3. olletsocmit thread starter macrumors 6502

olletsocmit

Thanks for your thoughts. I have been doing some research and you are right! I have decided to just keep this.

4. gorjan macrumors 6502

The 266 MHz more clock speed and more video RAM won't help with the picture. Keep it, as Hellhammer said, you would be waisting money.