Going from iMac to Macbook Pro - anyone done it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Plughugger, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Plughugger macrumors newbie

Hi guys - I know it's the current level of coolness to say that Apple is doomed, Steve is rolling in his grave and of course the new MBP is a huge disappointment.

Right now I am working on an aging 27 inch iMac from 2011 (i5 3.1 GHz). It still runs really well, but I need something portable and more powerful. I am one of those loonies who seriously is thinking of buying the new MBP, and I'd really like to hear your views on a transition like it.

Dongles doesn't bother me. I'll just buy a small dock and be done with it.

But what I am worrying about is going from a 27 inch display to a 15 inch display. When I went from a Macbook 2010 (white) to the iMac 27" I thought I would live in a world of endless desktop space and place for all plugins and audio programs I work with. But space ran out quickly and I start to think that no matter how large your monitor is - it will always be too small. Maybe going from a 27" to a 15" can actually be a good thing.

Of course I know you can hook up the MBP to an external monitor etc - but I am attracted to the idea of just having the Macbook Pro, and not an additional screen - in that case I could just add a mouse, keyboard and get a Mac Mini instead.

Has any of you guys gone from a large iMac to a smaller Macbook, and if so, how did you manage and adjust? Really curious to hear your experiences.

/Carl

2. Carilyn macrumors member

Carilyn

Ive only been an owner of the new MBP for 1 day but I also own a iMac 5k and can say with certainty the iMac will probably be ignored. I am loving this laptop so far and for my needs its perfect (professional photographer). Being able to edit on a capable machine not tied to my desk is a freeing feeling. My iMac is awesome and handles everything that I throw at it with ease but the option to be mobile and work wherever is perfection. Hopefully I will continue on with my MBP happily and with no issues.

Good luck with your decision!

ETA- the downsize in screen size doesn't bother me one bit (I was using a dual monitor setup with a Mac Pro prior to getting the iMac and then used my iMac solely). Both the iMac and the MBP have beautiful screens and I'm perfectly content with my 15"

3. GatorGhost macrumors regular

GatorGhost

I did, because I no longer needed a work station and wanted to use the space for other uses. I got used to the 15" screen quickly and find I can accomplish the same work with the new MBP 2016. I am glad to be rid of the big stationary iMac, but if I ever wanted to return to professional full time work I feel I could do just fine with the MBP 2016 now.

4. Plughugger thread starter macrumors newbie

5. thats all folks macrumors 6502a

thats all folks

my productivity goes us as screen size does. the 15" tbMBP is more powerful than your iMac. with a Thunderbolt 3 to 2 cable, you can use your iMac as a monitor. as to whether the tbMBP is a good idea, I'm not at all convinced.

6. HBOC macrumors 68020

i had a mid 2011 iMac that i bought new in May of 2011. Sold it in July when i bought my mid 2015 MBP 15. The iMac was still running very well.

7. KaiNL macrumors newbie

I've been an iMac user for more then 10 years. I used a 13" MacBook a couple of years ago at School for graphic design, no problems with the screen size. Now I was waiting for a new MacBook Pro refresh for about a year. Last week I bought my new MacBook Pro 15" and I love it! So I switched from my iMac 2012 21,5" Non-Retina to a beautiful retina screen. Screens-size is smaller, but it feels so much bigger with retina. I also love the mobility, now I can switch places. Maybe in the future I will buy a 4K display, but I don't miss it yet.