Going from iOS 4.2B to Full Release

Discussion in 'iPad' started by RRKPL, Nov 2, 2010.

1. RRKPL macrumors member

I'm thinking of doing an install of iOS 4.2GM on my iPad and was wondering how you would then change the install to the official release version when that came out? Would you have to do a restore with the hassle of losing apps and data or would it be a simple upgrade process?

Thanks!

2. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Normally the GM build is exactly the same as the final release. So upgrading to the GM now shouldn't be any different than what will come out in a week or two.

3. lozpop macrumors 6502

When the official 4.2 will come out, you'll just have to upgrade or completely restore if you want a fresh software.

4. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

In the past, you could just upgrade when the final version came out.

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work this time around -- so you should be okay.

Be aware though, that developers may not have tweaked their apps to work well with 4.2 on iPad in particular. (since iPad is a bigger jump from 3.x to 4.x, while iPhone for example is only 4.1 to 4.2.) If you depend on an App absolutely functioning flawlessly for business or whatever, be careful with non-production updates.

5. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

I installed the 4.2 GM and so far everything is doing great!

6. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

To upgrade from GM to final, just download the ISPW. In iTunes, shift click on Update (or alt-click, or whatever the hell it is on a Mac) and choose the ISPW. Should "upgrade" to 4.2. Real 4.2, that is.

7. Skydivincoastie macrumors member

8. melman101 macrumors 68030

The GM will be the same exact version as final unless their is a showstopping bug. Every GM I ever installed has been the same build as the final.

9. melman101 macrumors 68030

Not to install but to sync you need 10.1.

10. lskeys macrumors member

Upgrade should work. Might just do the restore for a fresh start.

11. Ksane macrumors regular

12. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

Be warned though that if you do a full restore you won't be able to do the required initial sync with iTunes because you need 10.1

This can cause problems if you need to restore between now and 10.1 getting released.