Going from iOS 9 PB to iOS 9 General...

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by TRICKorDEVICE, Jul 9, 2015.

1. TRICKorDEVICE macrumors 6502a

I'm all signed up for iOS 9 public beta and I'm going to try it on my iPad. If it works out I may do it on my iPhone as well.

My real concern is this. How hard will it be to go from the public beta of iOS 9 to the general release (the final public version) of iOS 9 when it is finally released to the public?

I've read all of their documentation, but I want some actual user input on those that have done it.

Do I have to do anything funky? Will I lose any data? Is there a proper upgrade path? How difficult will it be to go from public beta iOS 9 to the final version of iOS 9?

2. batting1000 macrumors 604

All you'll have to do is delete the Public Beta profile in Settings and then you'll be able to OTA to the official release.

3. TRICKorDEVICE thread starter macrumors 6502a

That sounds pretty darn simple. Thanks for the help. I'm going to try it on my iPad now. Wish me luck!

4. shenfrey macrumors 68000

You hope it's that simple. Imagine if there was a bug that didn't let you delete the public beta and you had to perform a recovery? Eek! You're braver than I am, good luck!

5. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

Shouldn't have to delete the profile to update to 9 final release. The only time that was ever needed was with 8.4 and that might very well have been a bug (or maybe intentional to get people to remove it since you needed a new profile for 9 anyways.)

6. nerdriot macrumors regular

nerdriot

Seems like it was a bug. I had to delete the profile on my phone, but not my iPad when I updated it later on. Strange.

7. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

So what you're saying is for those of us that are on the public beta, in theory, we should be able to just upgrade from the beta to the final release?

8. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

Didn't have to with 8.3. And I think in 8.4 it was just a bug that cause it to get stuck on "update requested". nerdriot didn't have to remove it when he updated his ipad at a later time from his iPhone. (Also heard a few others say they didn't need to even with 8.4)

9. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

Any firmware with a newer build number will show up ota. You won't need to do or delete anything.

10. rijc99 macrumors 6502a

rijc99

Don't need to delete the profile to get the general release. It will show up OTA. The feedback app will remain until you delete the beta profile though.

11. TRICKorDEVICE thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks all!

12. batting1000 macrumors 604

The profile is what allows you to access the public beta server though...won't it be contacting a different update server if you leave the profile on?

13. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

I left my profile on through all the 8.3 builds > 8.3 release > 8.4 PB builds. There was no issues of seeing new builds as they came up and bouncing from beta to release and back to beta. The only issue was 8.4 final release, but that was assumed to just be a bug. (and possible was fixed hours/day later.)

14. TommyA6 macrumors 65816

You can simply update to GM. No need to delete the profile...

I updated my iPad Air from 8.4 PB to GM without deleting the PB profile.