Going from iPad 2 --> iPad 3

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Medic311, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Medic311, Oct 1, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2012

Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

Hi All,

I will be giving my iPad 2 16GB to a family member and getting an iPad 3 to replace it. I am always running out of space on the iPad 2 so I will be going with a 32GB. Now for the hard part...I am torn between getting the 32GB wifi version or the 32GB LTE (verizon) version. All along, I have been using an iPhone 4S with jailbreak TetherMe app to wifi-tether my iPad 2 to my iPhone 4S. It works very well, the speed is acceptable (I am able to stream Live TV), however the one downside is that it kills my battery on my phone. At work I have access to an outlet but when I am out-and-about being mobile with both my iPhone 4S and iPad 2, roughly 2 hours of constant wifi-tethering using my iPad 2 or my work laptop will run my iPhone 4S battery down to 50%. Then, if I get a phone call it will cut off the connection from the iPad 2 and my work laptop's VPN, and I will have to reset the connection. A minor annoyance considering the tethering is free, but it is starting to get on my nerves since I use my phone for work on some days very heavily.

So now that I have the option of getting an iPad 3, I was thinking of getting an LTE version so it will have its own independent data connection, separate from my iPhone 4S. This will allow me to be more productive while on the go since I don't have to keep resetting my tether connection, it will extend my battery life on my 4S, and it will also give me a 2nd hotspot option if I need a faster connection or if I am on my iPhone 4S on a work call and need to tether my work laptop to my iPad 3 LTE to VPN back to the office server.

I wanted to get people's opinion on the matter, as the iPad 3 LTE has been out for over 6 months so I was hoping people could share their experiences with it. From a productivity standpoint, going with the LTE model is a no-brainer. It will cost me an extra $30/mo for the data plan though (when before I was wifi tethering to my iPhone 4S w/ a 3G connection for free). While I can write off a portion of it as a business expense, it will still be just that...an additional expense. There is the thought of going with the 1GB option for $20/mo and then reverting back to wifi tethering to my iPhone 4S if I need more data. That might save some money. Anyways, just wanted to pick people's brains here and get some opinions so I can make the best informed decision.

iPad 3 32GB refurb = $549
    iPad 3 32GB LTE refurb - $679

both will be tax free in Delaware, both will get 5% cash back from UPromise, and in either option i will be purchasing AppleCare+ for $99

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Since you also tether your laptop, consider getting a Verizon iPad 3. You can now use your iPad as a hotspot for your laptop, and not worry about the connection being cut when a phone call comes in. Also, iPad has a lot more battery life than an iPhone, that would also come in handy, I assume.

3. TaKashMoney macrumors 6502

Go LTE. In my experience, even when I am in coffee shops with free wifi, often the bandwidth there is so low that I end up switching to LTE. Nothing but amazing speeds on Verizon's network. Plus you arent committed to a contract. Turn it on when you are traveling or when you need it. Turn it off when you will be home.

If you are in the financial position to buy a new iPad, you will miss LTE much more than $130.

4. MMM.PWR macrumors 6502

MMM.PWR

Go LTE for sure. Reason why I bought the 3 and not the 2.

Ok, and the Retina display. ;)

5. Medic311 thread starter macrumors 68000

Medic311

I just tried to purchase the iPad 3 refurb with AppleCare+. It will not let me add AppleCare+ to the cart. There is no option to add it, when I manually go to the AppleCare+ product page there is no "add to cart". This is very odd...It's important that the AppleCare+ be on the same order with the iPad 3, since I am purchasing it through a cash-back website (UPromise).

I deleted it out of my cart and went to add a new iPad 3. Then it gave me the option to add AppleCare+. I then added the refurb iPad 3 to the cart and deleted the new iPad 3. Luckily, it kept the AppleCare+ in my cart.

What an odd glitch...

6. Medic311 thread starter macrumors 68000

Medic311

ok so the lead time before it is shipped is 5-7 days, then it says another 9 days for shipping with an estimated delivery date of October 17th.

wow...i didn't know these refurb iPad 3's had such a long lead time. are they really being swamped with orders or have they (foxconn and others) had to devote manpower resources to the iPhone 5 so the iPad 3 refurbs taken 2nd priority?

7. mjpearce023 macrumors 6502

That’s crazy, I ordered an iPad 2 refurb for my Mom and it shipped the next day and arrived in 3 days. If they have them in stock I would think they would go out immediately. I see no reason not to get refurbs as they come with a brand new batter and case and all the ones I’ve ordered look brand new.

8. Medic311 thread starter macrumors 68000

Medic311

ok this 2 week+ lead time is not going to work for me. i am giving my iPad 2 to my brother for his b-day (he chose that over a brand new google nexus), which has already passed. i want to wipe the iPad clean and put it into the new case i bought for him, and give it to him tonight. that means i would be without an iPad for a little over 2 weeks. definitely not happy about that.

i live 45 mins from the Delaware Apple Store (no sales tax), so i could pick up a new retail version of the iPad 3 32GB LTE, after work, for $729 vs the $679 refurb model that i would need to wait 2 weeks for.

is paying the extra $50 worth it. what do you guys think?

9. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

I think only you can answer that. To some, $50 is a significant saving. To others, two weeks without an iPad is worth $50 or more. Do what you're most comfortable with.

10. Medic311 thread starter macrumors 68000

Medic311

good point.

well i caved, and canceled my order for the refurb and just placed an in-store pickup order for a new iPad 3.

it's a win win...my brother gets his b-day present early and i get my iPad 3 early. $50 isn't really significant to me, but $50 is still $50. i relate everything to tanks of gas. $50 fills my compact car, so i just blew a gas of tank...as if i took a trip somewhere

11. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I switched over to an iPad 3 from a 2 and I don't see much difference in day to day use. The screen resolution isn't apparent to me when holding them side by side unless I'm reading text and put the ipad very close to my face, hardly real world experience. As for speed, my ipad3 is actually slower rendering graphic heavy webpages, significantly slower and not even loading certain pages fully, or only loading graphics one by one as I scroll down to them, I'm assuming it just has more pixels to download.

No LTE in my area yet so I don't see any difference, but it's nice to have it for the future, even though I'll probably be getting an ipad4 in 6 months anyway. I'd say the ipad3 isn't really worth it over the ipad2 other than I don't think it's a big price difference, so at the very least with the ipad3 you will have a better resale value.

12. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

There's a certain satisfaction walking out of an Apple Store carrying a nice white bag with a nice white box in it, containing the latest and greatest gadget. Enjoy!

13. Medic311, Oct 2, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2012

Medic311 thread starter macrumors 68000

Medic311

Brand new iPad has chip in aluminum

Just got home from the Apple store. Opened up the box and saw that the iPad has a chip in the aluminum shell at the corner (see photo).

I'm calling up Apple because I am not driving another 45 mins back to the store to swap it out. I'm going to ask them if they can do an advanced replacement like they did when I had a defective iPad 2.

One might ask if I combed over the device to look for a defect - well the answer is yes since it was $729 and it's brand new and should be in perfect condition without any defects. Oh well, defects happen...just not sure how something like this escaped quality control. Judging from the scrapes, scruffs, and random lines across the plastic sheet covering on the iPad - this product was mishandled big time at the factory. I'm shocked there wasn't more damage

UPDATE: Apple said they cannot send me a new device because I pay a $68 fee. They couldn't explain what the fee was, but the system was not allowing them to remove it and the senior service adviser was unable to remove it as well. They said I have to take it back to the store. WTF? So now I have to make another trip to the Apple Store, waste another gallon of gas ($4.05) and $3.32 in tolls. The reason why I purchased it in Delaware was to save $32 ($41 minus $9 in gas). Now that $32 will decrease to $24.63. Woohoo - thanks a lot Apple for being a PITA. I've never heard of this $68 fee to advance return the iPad, they did it just fine for my iPad 2 when the bezel was separating from the aluminum shell. This is absolutely outrageous. I know I sound like a penny-pincher, but I was willing to buy the expensive device knowing at least that I was getting it at somewhat of a discount by purchasing it in Delaware. Now, due to Apple's incompetence and fabrication of a $68 fee, the savings is well under the equivalent of my salary at an hourly rate - roughly the time I wasted going to the Wilmington, DE Apple Store

Attached Files:

14. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

Irritating indeed - console yourself that in a few weeks the whole debacle will be forgotten.

I've no doubt you will open the replacement in the store, and not leave until you are satisfed.

15. Medic311 thread starter macrumors 68000

Medic311

in addition to the screen issues, and the chip in the aluminum, Metal Storm is actually unplayable along with any other graphics intensive game. it skips and stutters all over the place. it even froze one too

i sure got one hell of a super duper lemon.

hopefully the replacement iPad i will get today after work will be better. i'll be opening it up in store to avoid wasting more gas and tolls