Going from iPad Air 2 to iPad mini 4

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Che Castro, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Che Castro macrumors 603

is anybody here thinking of switching to or back to the iPad mini 4 ?

I got the iPad Air 2 a few months back but I'm thinking of switching back to the mini , even though the air 2 is thin and light the mini just feels more comfortable
    The only reason why I upgraded from mini 2 to air 2 was because of the low ram and Safari and apps reloading

Anybody else going to get the mini 4 ? Or am I crazy
    I know from rumors the mini 4 will have the same specs as the air 2 and will probably be as thin as the original mini

2. Che Castro thread starter macrumors 603

That was fast , like you where in the thread before I hit submit

3. TheKevinFang macrumors member

That's also crazy!

4. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

depends on your needs.

why would you go smaller? do you use a computer at home or laptop? thats the only reason why i would think somebody would swap the two.

5. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

If/when the mini 4 is announced, you're more than welcome to switch back. As is anyone else.

Not really sure why you need to make a thread about it...

6. Che Castro, Aug 15, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2015

Che Castro thread starter macrumors 603

because I'm crazy

7. Che Castro thread starter macrumors 603

I went from iPad 2,3 to iPad mini
    Then iPad mini to iPad mini 2 and finally air 2
    For entertainment I found the mini to be better ,watching videos and reading

Have you ever had a mini ?

8. nightlong macrumors 6502a

nightlong

If the last rumour I read is true, it will have the same or similar spec to iPad Air2, and so the choice will be just about size. for me, it is too small.

9. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Nope

Only use I would have for it would be for on the go. I use the air 2 size for at home. Perfect size to me.

10. Bromio macrumors 6502

I prefer the Mini size. If I had the money, I'd consider the upgrade.

11. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

Yes.
    I'm replying on a mini 2 and can't wait to get the mini 4. Among many other factors, it is easier for me to hold unsupported for extended periods of time. In addition, I'm convinced there will be a substantial upgrade to the mini this fall. No, you are not crazy. It is a matter of personal preference, so who is more qualified to answer your question - you or an unknown individual with their own set of priorities?
    And yes, there are 2 Airs in this family but mine stays dormant most of the time.

12. DaCurmudgen macrumors regular

I had the iPad 3 which I bequeathed to my family when I got my mini 2 the week it was released. I LOVE my mini 2, partially because it was just as much as a powerhouse as the Air and it was truly portable. I used it all the time and took it with me EVERYWHERE. When I used the iPad 3, I found the mini 2 text was sharper and I never cared much about the color gamut issue, which I do think is a problem for people who use it for photography. For me the mini 2 is the perfect iPad.

Months after the Air 2 was released, our iPad 3 experienced a terrible fall in the hands of our 8 year-old, and the screen was totally trashed. I was offered an iPad for work, so I picked up the Air 2 and bequeathed the mini 2 to my family. I was psyched about the Air 2 given the extra RAM and wondered if I would notice the color gamut difference, etc.

After using the Air 2 for months, I still find myself pining away for the mini 2, mainly because of portability and ease of reading when holding the iPad. The mini 2 form factor is just a bit better, the text is sharper, and the color gamut issue never bothered me.

Don't get me wrong, the Air 2 is an awesome device; light enough to make holding it a non-issue, big enough to make video/games totally immersive, and split-screen could be a game changer. But if the mini 4 has the same capabilities, I would switch back simply because of portability -- that is the one thing that I think the mini has over the full-size iPad. If that is critical to you, then a switch isn't crazy.

13. newellj macrumors 601

One thing that would matter a lot to me is whether they upgrade the retina display in the Mini to match the specs of the full size iPads. The color accuracy and gamut on the Mini retina display is frankly very poor compared to the iPad 3/4/Air/Air2 and really needs an upgrade.

14. DSTOFEL macrumors 6502

+1 I had the original mini and Mini Retina 2. I travel for business and use my ipad extensively on the road (ie movies/TV on the plan, hotel browsing, etc...). For me, it's purely a device for consuming content. I love the form factor of the mini. The color gamut issue was the only glaring negative for me (ie The washed out/muted colors of the mini line were always a real issue for me).

I sold the Mini 2 last year in anticipation of a Mini 3 with updated display. Turned out to be wishful thinking! So, I bought a new iPad Air (original) for the same price as I sold the Mini Retina 2....to get me by for the next year. I love the Air's display, but prefer the Mini's form factor.

So, eagerly awaiting the next update. I'm hoping for a Mini 4 with an updated display (ie color gamut equal to Air 2)...along with a slimmer/lighter design and all of the other spec's of the Air 2. If however, they also annouce a redesigned Air 3 (slimmer/lghter, etc...)....will be a tough call between the two.

If no fix to the Mini's display (ie inferior color gamut), then no way I'll go for the Mini 4.

15. Che Castro thread starter macrumors 603

You guys going from iPad mini 2 to 4
    Just warning you about the iPad vibration when the volume is up, you feel it on the screen and in the back

The air 2 has this problem so maybe the mini 4 will to, I don't think Apple sees this as a problem
    But some people here do

I'm sure people here will make threads about it if the mini 4 also has this problem

But I wish people who go to the Apple event test this out , so we know before preordering

It doesn't bother me on the air 2 , I got used to it after a while

16. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

One of the few complaints I have about my iPad mini is the speakers are sometimes difficult to hear. I won't know till it comes out, but some extra volume might be worth some additional vibration.

17. tingkr macrumors newbie

I have an ipad air 2 and a mini 2, which I got after the ipad air 2. In general, I prefer the Mini 2 form factor. If they come out with a Mini 4 that is thinner & lighter, preferably with a faster chip, I am interested.

18. GaryNoine macrumors member

GaryNoine

I've handled the Air 2 and the Minis and to me the Mini is still perfect for my usage. The Air is too awkwardly big-but-not-a-laptop. I'll be getting the Mini 4

19. newellj macrumors 601

Amen to that. I often had to use an accessory speaker or headphones with my Air 1, and the Mini 2 is ridiculously quiet. With the Air 2 I usually have to turn the volume down several clicks from maximum, and I'm totally wiling to live with the vibration to get decent sound volume.

20. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

as I said in another thread If they upgrade the screen and make it on par with the Ipad 1 or 2 I might, but that low chroma screen of the last two ipad mini's need to be replaced

21. BMox macrumors 6502

BMox

I think I could be doing this-albeit coming from an iPad Air 1.

As much as I like my Air and nothing wrong with it whatsoever, I do get a little envious of the wife's Mini 2-that form factor is spot on.

Beefed up specs with a better screen and multitasking? Let's hope so!

22. kevink2 macrumors 6502a

With the rumors that there won't be a new Air 3 this year, and my iPad 3 getting long in the tooth (some home button issues, tired of 2 different cable types), I was thinking of getting the Air 3. And have been waiting since May. If there isn't an upgrade, and the Mini 4 is comparable the the Air 2, I may just go with it. The only downside will be reading some magazines. But most magazines have a "text" mode anyway. And should be easier to carry.

23. newellj macrumors 601

I have both and it'd be hard to pick between them. I really like the portability of the Mini, but for content consumption (especially videos), the bigger and better picture and the much better sound volume of the Air and Air 2 are a huge advantage. The rumors do seem to be point toward no Air 3 this fall and a nicely enhanced Mini 4.