All iPads Going from iPad to iPad Mini - Happy? Regretful?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by joshdammit, Oct 17, 2013.

1. joshdammit macrumors 6502

I currently use an iPad 3, prior to that an iPad 2. While I've loved both of them, with the Mini coming into existence about a year ago, I do find myself noticing the full-sized iPad is a little more unwieldy than I'd prefer.

With the new models coming out this month, it may be possible the the iPad 5's slimmer bezel might shrink the device's bulk down just enough for me to be happy with, but every time I hold an iPad Mini in my hands I can't help but feel like it's just right as far as size goes.

Anyway, my question goes out to those of you who went from a full-sized iPad to a Mini: How are you liking it?

2. royinla14 macrumors regular

Made the switch last year and very happy. I use it for internet and some games and was more important to me something lighter and smaller than retina display. Display still amazing. That been said if ipad mini 2 comes with retina for sure I'm switching.

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Mini is good, but I prefer the full size. Larger viewing area, larger keyboard, larger tap targets.

I'm really hoping the iPad 5 reduces weight substantially as rumored!

4. joshdammit thread starter macrumors 6502

So do you have a harder time typing on the Mini than the regular? That's an important issue for me, actually. If I rest the iPad down on the smart cover (or the leather thing I got for it a while back) typing on it like a keyboard works pretty awesome. But if I'm holding it in my hands, using the split keyboard, it just feels awkward. I'm holding this huge device, but thumb-typing on this tiny keyboard. Is it a pain on the Mini?

5. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Thumb typing while in portrait is great on the mini. Regular typing (with all fingers) on a table in landscape ain't happening. I adjusted quickly though and can type very fast using only my pointer fingers with the occasional middle finger thrown in.

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I think I have long thumbs, lol, but I actually tend to thumb type on the full size iPad in landscape without splitting the keyboard. If I try to do the same on the mini, obviously, my thumbs are simply too long to pull this off gracefully. Plus, the keys are smaller, causing me to miss the keys.

Typing like on a keyboard is definitely not happening on the mini, but thumb typing really depends, you'll just have to try it to see if it works for you.

7. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

I bought a mini to replace my iPad 3 but never got rid of my 3 after all. My only regret on the mini is my eyesight. I am currently looking to get rid of my mini because of eye strain. Otherwise it a great device, the size is just right, and the weight is pretty awesome. If you have good eye sight, the mini is fantastic.

8. herdnerfer macrumors 6502

tempted

I have an iPad 3 and bought my kids an iPad mini to play with a few months ago. i was very impressed with it, i love the size & typing is so much easier on it vs my full size iPad. I can also slip it into my back pocket when on the go.

I was almost ready to pull the trigger and trade my Ipad 3 for a mini myself, but 2 things kept me from doing it.

1. The Retina screen is just tooo beautiful on my iPad 3, i couldn't give it up

2. The current mini has an over 2 year old processor and only 512mb of RAM so i was worried about its sustainability for the future.

I still steal the mini from the kids from time to time, but im going to stick it out with the iPad 3 until Apple doesn't support it anymore, or until those retina mini rumors turn out to be true....

9. joshdammit thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, it sounds like I have shorter thumbs than you. :) I can thumb type on the iPad in portrait without splitting the keyboard, but it's somewhat uncomfortable. Forget landscape. :D

I also use a logitech bluetooth keyboard cover, but I don't always like to carry that around with me.

Thanks for the insight! (And thanks everyone else, as well!) My eyesight is pretty decent, so I'm not too worried about that, but I was right there with you - I refuse to give up the retina display. I'm hoping the new Mini coming out has at least the iPad 4's hardware in it, so it'll still be an upgrade for me.

10. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

Dont have the mini but tried it many times at the store. Not a device that i can't let off my hand. Just a smaller Ipad with bad screen and thinner glass. I would rather get myself an ipod touch if i want a smaller tablet, at least its more like on the go device.

Now, i think a 3DS is better worth for the money. U can buy game online, although more expensive but more quality than ios game. Ipad mini, imo, is at its best in gaming and ios game are mediocur at best.

11. Robster3 macrumors 68000

Sold a ipad 3, got mini, sold it got iPad 4, mini is too small for me.

12. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

iPad is just the right size for me -- the mini just a bit too small when I need to be productive. I prefer iPhone + iPad.

13. Jburnette87 macrumors member

Jburnette87

I just picked up a dirt cheap mini. Coming from an iPad 4 I was pleasantly suprised at general performance. Im not a gamer however. I'll use it a few more days and decide between iPad 5 or mini 2. But love the size and weight in general. Not just the bezel difference. :D

14. mike693 macrumors member

Happy

I switched from an iPad 2 to the Mini shortly after the Mini came out. It took me a few weeks to adjust to touch typing on the Mini (was already a fast touch typist on a full size iPad). Have been using for work daily, with the same workflow as the full size iPad 2. Saves weight in my bag. Can hold one-handed if needed.

Was concerned at first with typing with the Mini's less sturdy Smart Cover "rolled up", but it turned out to be fine.

15. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

I broke my iPad screen and when I replaced it I bought a mini. Have been loving it ever since. Don't know that I would go back to a full size, but maybe we will see with the new slimmer bezel models.

I thought I would miss the retina display, but honestly I enjoy the size of the mini way more and actually use my iPad a ton now. Will probably upgrade to the retina next week, but I wouldn't change switching to the mini if I had the chance.

16. joshdammit thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not in the market for a portable gaming device.

17. Internaut macrumors 6502a

Switching from an iPad2? I suspect happy. Switching from a retina iPad? I'd recommend trying before you buy. I have an iPad Mini and a Google Nexus 7. The Mini is by far my favourite of the two, but I can assure you the resolution difference is noticeable.

18. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

I went to the mini from the ipad 3, I loved it at first but i missed my bigger ipad. I am sure once I get the big one I will miss the mini.

19. bbjonz macrumors newbie

All mini, all the time. Gave my iPad 3 to my son. If the rumored new mini with RD comes out as expected, my wife now has something to get me for Christmas.

20. Thrifty1 macrumors regular

I sold my 32GB WiFi iPad 3 last week so I can get the new Mini if it has a Retina Display. Every time I would go to the Apple store and play with the Mini I knew I liked the smaller size. I find it easier to type / reach all the keys when using the mini. I also like the lighter weight for holding it as the iPad 3 gets heavy when in bed reading or playing games. I did not find the screen to be that much smaller.

I have missed my iPad this past week. If the new Mini's are in short supply, I will be ordering online as soon as sales open or waiting in line at my local Apple store to get one on launch day.

21. Sech macrumors member

Depending on the weight of the new iPad, I'll be switching back to the full size. I miss the extra screen real estate the most and when sitting it down to do a little work with an external keyboard. Otherwise, the Mini is fantastic.

22. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

I was happy with it in the beginning, but then I went from an 11" MBA to a 13" rMBP and bought a Kindle Paperwhite. Now I miss the larger iPad. It isn't that the Mini is bad - I just miss being able to fairly comfortably two hand type on it. Plus being able to casually browse the web without zooming to hit small links (Given the touch target size difference - the Mini is like an iPhone but you hold it further away so tapping small things tends to be more difficult.)

If the new full-size iPad weighs in at around 1 pound I will most likely upgrade to that. Plus if they offer some kind of keyboard cover then it can be close to a full size keyboard.

23. addictzz macrumors 6502

I came from ipad 2 to ipad mini. iPad size is definitely great but iPad mini just have that convenience of usage that I love so much. I tried iPad 3 & iPad 4 too but the casing surface heat and the weight are just uncomfortable for me.
    I use iPad mini mainly in portrait mode too so thumb typing is easy for me. I would definitely choose normal iPad for landscape typing.

24. mirz2000 macrumors regular

I have both iPad2 and iPad mini. I like them for different things. For work, the full sized iPad is more useful when typing notes in meetings, pulling up documents for reference, etc. The Mini is better size for web browsing, shopping, all the stuff I do at home. The size is such a convenience.

If someone made me pick one or the other to use full time, I would probably go with the mini.

25. mytakeontech macrumors 6502a

I sold my regular iPad 2 that I used for more than 2 years. My main issue with it was weight. I think the reduced weight will really help for continues use. It definitely caused me wrist strain holding it.