Going from iPhone 4 to 4S. What it's like.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Fugue, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Fugue macrumors 6502

A bit of a back story. I was not planning to upgrade from the 4 to the 4S since the update was underwhelming, but I discovered that I had an upgrade which was not being used so I decided to bite. Thankfully, I will have another upgrade this coming summer, before the release of the 5.

So, is it worth it if you have an iPhone 4? Read on...

The first thing I do is load up Safari on both the 4 and the 4S (after restoring the 4 to stock iOS 5). The 4S opens it up SLIGHTLY faster, bringing out the bookmarks bar a millisecond sooner. Next, I load up The New York Times on both. Once again, the 4S loads it a tiny bit faster. Both the 4 and the 4S start showing text at the same time, but the 4S finishes the loading the whole page sooner. Again, it's barely any faster. Pinch to zoom is the same. Less checker boarding, but you still occasionally see it. All in all, it's pretty much the same deal.

Applications open a hair faster on the 4S, but again, it is a marginal improvement. The camera opens a second quicker, but it still isn't instant-on material. Photo's look nice, but I was satisfied with the 5 megapixel shooter on the 4.

Siri. It sounds like a gimmick. It looks like a gimmick. Is it a gimmick? Short answer: Yes. I played around with it, asking it to text a friend, get me the weather, and so on. It's a cute toy, but manually doing the task is still much faster. The only use I see for Siri is using it while driving. It works maybe 20% of the time for harder questions (like what is the derivative of sinx to the 37th power), relying on Wolfram Alpha for answer. I can see it being more useful if it worked faster, and maybe with time it will evolve, but as of now it's just a marketing ploy.

Is it worth the upgrade? If you are like me and have an extra upgrade and $200 lying around, why not? I own a Droid Bionic (4G LTE) as well, and I can recommend the iPhone 4S over it any day. 4G gives insane speeds, but it eats the battery life faster than I can charge the phone. Also, Android, especially the browser performance, is not up to par with iOS (but it is slowly and steadily climbing up the ladder). If you have a 4 and were thinking of upgrading for full price, don't bother. It's barely any faster and it looks identical to the 4. Siri is not nearly as handy as it is portrayed to be, nor does it work most of the time.

Just my $0.02, take it for what it is.

2. farmermac macrumors 6502a

thanks for the review. Pondering the upgrade myself.

3. MasterTick macrumors 6502

If you have to pay more than 200 bucks then I don't think it's worth it. Otherwise you should upgrade.

4. BBQXXX macrumors member

I find it to be a pretty big increase in speed... Everything runs so smooth now.

5. yodaxl7 macrumors 6502a

Agree, it is faster and noticable. I like the larger storage, 64gb. Camera is even better. Siri is cool and will use daily for setting alarms, texting,etc. I wanted the white color last year and finally got the color I wanted. :D

6. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Runs as smooth as iPhone OS 1.0 did on the original iPhone (which actually was pretty buttery smooth).

Very impressed with the speed of the 4S. Especially if you've got a 4 handy to directly compare.

7. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

This. I'm simply blown away by the speed. Everything is quick, instant, smooth. Just a more natural experience.