Going from iPhone to Andriod, Lose iCloud?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by anewfoundsin, Dec 22, 2012.

1. anewfoundsin macrumors member

I put my sim card in an S3 samsung and got me thinking. Will I lose my icloud account? I do have an ipad and a macbook. Also i can no longer use Imessage with my original cell number right?

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

You can access your iCloud account from your other Apple devices, and also from a web browser (for mail/calendar/contacts/etc).

As for iMessage with your original cell number, I'm not sure. With iOS 6, you can setup other devices to send/receive iMessages using your cell number, assuming your cell number is an iPhone. Not sure what happens to that when you switch your cell number away from an iPhone.

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

iMessage only works on iOS devices and OSX Mountain Lion.

4. FatPuppy macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

First of all,if you go from iPhone to android,you lose your dignity :D

5. brylliant, Dec 23, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2012

brylliant macrumors regular

brylliant

Nothing is stored on your SIM from iCloud. They are two different things. Your iCloud data is stored on Apple's servers and will always be waiting for you.

Your number won't work with iMessage anymore unless you insert your SIM back into your iPhone - but any future iMessages will still be sent to your MacBook (if you have Mountain Lion) and iPad, but not your iPhone.

You can turn iMessage off on these devices if you want to go completely iMessage free.

6. Squid7085 macrumors 6502a

Even if you can trick iMessage to keep working (I have done it in the past.) You likely don't want it to. The iMessage phone SENDING the message will think you are still using iMessage, thus only sending it to the iPad and not your actual mobile number, I.E. your phone. I did this accidentally before, i'd like to think Apple has that fixed.

7. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Quite frankly I have always thought google cloud services which have been around longer than icloud have been better and better integrated into the OS. (they've been there since the beginning and not tacked on in an OS update) I've never had google's contact syncing delete contacts but when iCloud rolled out I had to help many people who had it delete their entire contacts lists.

8. Damolee macrumors 6502

I wish Android had a total back up solution like this.

Only thing close would be making a back up on a rooted phone and even though you can run into problems when restoring. (Titanium back up never worked well neither)

9. Mrg02d macrumors 65816

It does.

10. Damolee macrumors 6502

Does it? One that backs up pics, save data etc?

11. zone23 macrumors 68000

I always used Dropbox with android. You can even backup Titanium Backup with it.