Going from jailbroken to non-jailbroken

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by timelord726, Oct 6, 2008.

1. timelord726 macrumors member

I have jailbroken my iPhone 3G, but the novelty is beginning to wear off and the phone seems a bit more sluggish and a bit less reliable now that I've loaded it full of background processes and other things that mess with a phone that has otherwise been good to me. I am considering doing a full restore and going back to the simple days of having a non-jailbroken phone.

My question is this: what exactly does iTunes backup, from a filesystem point of view?

If I do a full backup of my jailbroken iPhone with iTunes, then restore to the normal non-jailbroken OS, is it safe to restore my data from the jailbreak backup? And, one step further, is it "clean" to do so? I don't want lingering preference files, leftover permission issues, etc. from my jailbreak days. I would like to preserve my data, but if it means that the filesystem will be messy then I'll just start completely fresh. (Even though I can't see or interact with the filesystem at all on the non-jailbroken phone, knowing that there are leftovers from another OS install would still bother me.)

Any information would be appreciated! Thanks!

2. Macgic macrumors 6502

read this its 4 posts above yours (at my posting time)
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=575665

also im pretty sure you should use a backup from pre JB. as for being more sluggish i haven't had a problem. my battery lasts me 3 days. with a 2hr charge each day to sync.