Going from Leopard to Tiger

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jayemele, Aug 22, 2010.

1. jayemele macrumors newbie

I have OSX Leopard running on my eMac 1.25ghz. Leopard runs nicely, but I'd like to see how tiger will perform. Can I load tiger without wiping the hard drive clean? I have the OSX gray discs for Tiger, but do not want to delete everything. Is this possible? Thanks Jay

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

No, unless you have two partitions, one for Tiger and the other one empty and for Leopard. Make a backup of your important data and do an ERASE and INSTALL of Tiger. Maybe you can even do an ARCHIVE and INSTALL, which would put the previous system into a "Previous System" folder.

3. jayemele thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks. I will backup all my data first, then do an install of Tiger. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks!

4. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

You could always install Tiger onto an external drive.

5. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

I have a pair of old eMacs, one of them is running Tiger, the other one is running Leopard. I think you'll love Tiger. That is one of the best, if not the best desktop OS ever made. It's simple, it's quick and it offers so much in terms of usability. I'm not keen on Spaces, Time Machine and the other Leopard additions, so if I could, I'd put Tiger on more of my computers. Sadly, newer MBPs are unable to run Tiger and I also need RapidWeaver, which requires Leopard or Snow Leopard.

In case you want to keep both OS, get an external Firewire hard drive that you can boot from. Replacing the HDD in the eMac is such a pain that many users just get one as there is hardly any difference in speed.

Anyway, do a clean install and tell us about your experience! One more thing - when browsing the internet, you might want to try a few Flash solution or workarounds. These older machines are not particularly good on Flash, but check out dozens of threads about the subject.