Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GeneKam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Mississauga, ON
Hey guys. Well my warranty from best buy is going to be used any day now. My macbook had three repairs done within last two years and well my DVD drive is messed up. It doesen't work at times and just makes the whole laptop vibrate and shake. So as far as i see it i will be gone in a month or so.

So here is the question, has any of you went from mac book to mac book pro 15". I use my laptop everywhere and i am usually on the go from school to home to library and so on. But i drive and I train in MMA so the weight is not an issue. I'm just wondering if there are any downfalls you guys experienced with going for bigger size?

I do about three things at once on my mac so i think more screen space is most excellent! I have been getting sick of little room on my macbook for the last few months. What are your opinions?

PS: The second GPU is nice to have, but gaming isn't on my list for the new laptop at all. I have 360 for that!

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Looks like the MacBook did everything you need it to and you said the bigger resolution could help you so I see no point in getting anything more than the base 15-inch with only the 9400M GPU. Seeing how your MacBook is 2 or more years old, the 15-inch will be way faster.

You can also opt to go for the 13-inch MacBook Pro which is the same minus the 2-inches and lower resolution. Regardless of which one you go for, it will definitely be an improvement then what you currently have.

GeneKam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Mississauga, ON
Indeed thats what i am also thinking. I love the design of the new alu. macbook pro. It looks brilliant!

I currently have 3,1 which is late 2007 as far as i remember with 4 gigs of ram, 320 hd and 2.2 ghz for speed. It actually runs much better then the current generation white mac. I had my laptop in for repairs for 87 days lol so i had a new white mac as a loner. It was terrible, i got it exchanged and the other one was the same. It made annoying high pitched sound when processing which was ridiculous. It was also noticeably slower then my old mac. I tried running with both leo and SL.

I know it makes little sense but thats the facts that i have experienced. I dont doubt that the pro will be better then my current mac though. The main concern is the chipset and its noise is pretty bad, i dont know if it was faulty batch or what but i am thinking into waiting for the new refresh of the core. Besides, if im lucky apple will put out the new i7 into the pro line, that is wil seal the deal momentarily.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.