Going from Mavericks to OS X Server - question

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by BeatCrazy, May 26, 2014.

1. BeatCrazy macrumors 65816

As detailed in this thread, I'm considering moving away from 10.9.3 on my 2011 base mini, because Time Machine can apparently no longer use my old NAS.

So, if I move to OS X Server, it will strictly be so my wife can use TM backup to my mini + DAS, instead of my NAS.

Question: am I giving up anything moving to OS X Server, that I would normally get via Mavericks or eventually 10.10.x? I like and appreciate the small changes Apple gives us with the minor updates. Is Server updated just as regularly now, with all the standard OS minor updates?

Should I just wait a few months until they release a Server build based on 10.10.x?

2. chrfr macrumors 603

Server is a more-or-less standalone application now. The basic OS is no different with or without Server installed.
    You will need to buy a new version of server when 10.10 ships, based on how Apple has handled past versions. I wouldn't want to move to 10.10 on a server immediately after it's released.

3. BeatCrazy thread starter macrumors 65816

Interesting, thanks. So, I'd basically be buying the $20 server "app" that runs on top of 10.9.3? I could still run the current Server app (3.x?) on top of 10.10.x later this year?

4. chrfr macrumors 603

Yes.
    Very unlikely. The Server app is closely tied to built in system services. Server 2.x is only compatible with 10.8.x just as Server 3.x is only compatible with 10.9.x.

5. BeatCrazy thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks, that is a great clarification. I think I can sit tight for a bit, and wait for news to come out of WWDC.

6. BeatCrazy thread starter macrumors 65816

OK, so OS X 10.10 looks cool, but no word regarding a Server version (app?)? I guess I just spring for the 10.9 Server app, and maybe they'll have a compatible Server version available for 10.10 when it officially launches?

7. chrfr macrumors 603

Apple hasn't discussed anything to do with Server at WWDC in years, aside from the presence of the Xcode server that got added with Mavericks. It's safe to assume that a version of Server will continue to exist with 10.10.
    It's also safe to assume that it will be a separate paid version as it's been since 10.7.

8. BeatCrazy thread starter macrumors 65816

How soon after the regular OS X release does the server app typically come out?

9. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

It will come out probably the same time or within days. At least that what Mavericks, Mountain Lion, and Lion servers did. However keep in mind that (IMHO) none of the new features of Yosemite are useful for a server, and there will probably be nothing earth-shaking in Yosemite server. There probably won't be any reason to "upgrade" and Mavericks Server will continue to be more stable until any issues with Yosemite and its server are worked out. Based on serious bugs and omissions in past server releases they seem to do very little beta testing of these. :(

10. BeatCrazy thread starter macrumors 65816

Interesting. Well I need the server functionality today, for Time Machine backup from my wife's Air. And I would like to try out many features of Yosemite. So I guess I need to spend the $20 today, and again some time in the fall.