Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
I spilled liquid on my 2019 MBPro 15" and fried the motherboard. While my AppleCare+ covered it for $299, I need a computer for work so I went shopping. I wound up with an MBA/8GB/512. I wanted a 16GB Ram model but that was special order, and despite my MBP having 16 I never really did any heavy lifting beyond running Parallels, and Geekbench on the MBA was as good or better with less memory than on the MBP.

My really concern was screen size. My first MB was the old white one from 2010. After I went the MBP I went with a 15 inch screen and really liked the extra space, so I was concerned a 13inch would be too small. After using, it for 2 weeks I've found it to be enough, especially since I use a second screen anyway.

Here are my takeaways on the switch:

1. I didn't realize how much lighter and slimmer the MBA is. There is a big weight /size delta, which is nice because I travel a lot for work.
2. It's powerful. Granted I am not a gamer but I've noticed no dropoff from my i7 MBP.
3. The new keyboard is a whole lot nicer than the old one. The typing experience is much better.
4. There are some personal cons, YMMV:
• Only two USB-C ports is a pain, especially since one is used for power.
• Can't run Win10 in a VM (Yes, I am running WinARM Preview but that is not a long term solution)

If Apple comes out with a new Air next year with more USB C ports, and possible a microSD slot I'd upgrade. Get rid of the bezel and add more screen space, even if you make the chassis a bit bigger would be fantastic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Marty_Macfly

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
If you look at the specs the MBP isn’t that much heavier than the Air. 2.8 pounds vs 3.0. Still only 2 ports though. If they release a 14” MBP with 4 ports it might be your preferred option.

Reactions: Queen6

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
If you look at the specs the MBP isn’t that much heavier than the Air. 2.8 pounds vs 3.0. Still only 2 ports though. If they release a 14” MBP with 4 ports it might be your preferred option.

Yea, but I was comparing it the 15 MBP I have. I just didn't see the new 13 MBP having any significant advantage over the Air to warrant the higher price.

I've always had MBP for the performance/features advantages but the new Air competes well with them.

Reactions: jerryk

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I went from a 16" MBP to a base M1 Air and really do not miss the 16". The Air is so much lighter and powerful enough for what I do on the go: Office work and occasional photo (Lightroom) and video editing (DaVinci Resolve).

And not having a fan is amazing since my 16" was so noisy.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I went from a 2018 MBP15 to an M1 MBP. I happen to like touchbar, and wanted the couple of other differences.

Ports haven't been a problem for me as I already docked via a Caldigit TS3+ which has plenty of ports and provides power. With the superb battery life when away from my desk the dual ports haven't been an issue either.

About fans - many folks say they chose M1 MBA vs MBP due to fanless design. I've heard my M1 MBP's fan once that I remember, and it was when I was trying to make it kick on audibly. It took forcing forcing regeneration of a couple thousand smart previews from RAW image files. Even then it wasn't obtrusive. Otherwise in everyday usage my M1 MBP has been inaudible even in my quiet office.

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I have a 15 and have played around with my daughter's 13 and want a bigger screen. It could be 14 or 16; I'm leaning towards 16.

Performance of the M1 is fine for me but I think that the 14 and 16 will only come with the M1X. I would like to be able to drive two external monitors and have more ports. I actually want two laptops: an M1 Air 15 and a Pro 16 for on-the road. I will likely just get a 16 and use it at home and on the road.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I have a 15 and have played around with my daughter's 13 and want a bigger screen. It could be 14 or 16; I'm leaning towards 16.

Do see whatever comes out in person if you can - I have both a personal 13.3" MBP and a 14.0" Windows work computer. In daily usage I just don't see any perceivable difference in screen real estate unless I break out a ruler.

While it's possible the rumored 14" MBP may be more than 14.0, IMHO the differences will be incremental unless you jump to the 16.0" model.

BaronSH

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2018
M1 MBA is the best laptop around and for typical consumer use it's more than enough. I also switched from a MBP and it feels like an upgrade in the ways that counts.

Reactions: doolar

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Do see whatever comes out in person if you can - I have both a personal 13.3" MBP and a 14.0" Windows work computer. In daily usage I just don't see any perceivable difference in screen real estate unless I break out a ruler.

While it's possible the rumored 14" MBP may be more than 14.0, IMHO the differences will be incremental unless you jump to the 16.0" model.

Part of the reason would be higher resolution. Ideally I'd like a 4k display but Apple's MacBook Pros don't go up that high.

doolar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2019
M1 MBA is the best laptop around and for typical consumer use it's more than enough. I also switched from a MBP and it feels like an upgrade in the ways that counts.
Couldn't agree more. I even casually game (Diablo 3 and CivVI mainly) on my M1 Air 8/8/512, both games run better than on my 2017 15" Pro, it's pretty great really.

Of course all the other things such as instant sleep/wake, battery life and general swiftness in all daily tasks is not to be forgotten.

I started my (well specced) work issued PC laptop (that I replaced with another M1 Air base model) the other day to do a firmware update that would only run from Windows, and oh sweet baby jesus wept, how could I ever work on that thing? :) Hot, noisy, slow and of course the battery was totally depleted despite being charged fully and then powered off a week ago.

Apple Silicon is a total game changer. Those that don't agree either have specific needs that M1/ARM can't fulfill, or just haven't used a M1 computer yet.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I love the screen size of the 16", but not the weight or overall size. And since I only travel with it and use it for entertainment, the 14" sounds like a great middle ground.

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
You must have very good eyesight if you can tell the difference between say 3072x1920 and 3840x2160 on a 16" display.

I run 4k 27 inch monitors at native resolution. One of them displays 88 real-time charts. I do this at native resolution on my 2014 and 2015 MacBook Pros using EasyRes. I don't need to see every pixel. I just need to look at the general shape and patterns of the charts. I would prefer a 17 inch 4k display - similar to what some of the Windows Laptop vendors do.

MrGunny94

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2016
Malaga, Spain
I really love my MBA M1 but I do have two issues with it, one being having two USB-C ports on the left and the lack of dual external displays

Other than it has been a great transition from my 16" which I sold for 1400$ and ended up saving some cash on getting this M1 Air for the time being.

Expos of 1969

Suspended
Aug 25, 2013
Last year I replaced my 2013 13" MBP with a new MBA M1. My main concern was getting a screen quality that would bother me but these recent MBAs have much better screens than the older ones. Quite pleased with my new MBA.

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I really love my MBA M1 but I do have two issues with it, one being having two USB-C ports on the left and the lack of dual external displays

Other than it has been a great transition from my 16" which I sold for 1400$ and ended up saving some cash on getting this M1 Air for the time being.

$1,400 seems pretty low for the 16. I've never seen one for sale locally at that price.

robco74

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2020
Getting used to the smaller screen is less of an issue, having the additional portability is nice. I'm still getting used to the chunky bezels. I love the silent operation of the MBA.

norbinhouston

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2011
Houston
You guys left out the best part of the M1s, the battery life. Barely got 2 hours on my intel MacBook. Now my base M1 Air is getting close to 6. That’s real world usage on my part. Incredible.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
You guys left out the best part of the M1s, the battery life. Barely got 2 hours on my intel MacBook. Now my base M1 Air is getting close to 6. That’s real world usage on my part. Incredible.
Not sure if battery life or lack of fan noise is the best thing about moving from a MBP 16". But, it was a win-win for me.

Reactions: robco74

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 14, 2009

Yea, I'd like one more port at least on the right side; or ditch the audio out and put in a fourth or microSD card slot.

MrGunny94

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2016
Malaga, Spain
Yea, I'd like one more port at least on the right side; or ditch the audio out and put in a fourth or microSD card slot.
I think the audio jack is important to keep on a computer, however they could add an extra USB-C on the right side, it's just messy if you try to attach a USB-A converter onto the C and then wanna connect say a thunderbolt cable additionally to the 2nd port.

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I think the audio jack is important to keep on a computer, however they could add an extra USB-C on the right side, it's just messy if you try to attach a USB-A converter onto the C and then wanna connect say a thunderbolt cable additionally to the 2nd port.

The audio jack is nice if you have a KVM setup with speakers (KVMS I guess). If you really want all the ports, you can just go with the Pro. Whenever it comes out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.