Going from MBP to iMac + MBA. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Tyrion, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Tyrion macrumors 6502a

I'm contemplating a fundamental change in my computer setup. For the past nine years, I've been using Apple-laptops (first a Tibook, then an MBP) as my main machine and a Windows-PC as a gaming rig. I have now ordered one of the new Airs to take to the office and basically use as a mobile typewriter, and I've noticed something: during all those years that I used laptops as desktop replacements, I only used those laptops as laptops a handful of times. The MBP, for example, only rarely ever left my desk, and whenever I had to take it with me I was reluctant to do so - it feels heavier than it should be, bigger than it should be, and it's simply too expensive to lug around all day. The Air is going to be perfect in this regard.

Well, all of this got me thinking. Wouldn't it make sense for a user like me to switch from the MBP to an actual desktop - the iMac - and use the MBA for mobile computing? It's a weird idea to me since I've pretty much given up on desktops (except for gaming, and my Windows-desktop isn't going anywhere), but honestly, at this point the iMac is much, much better value for money than the MBP (and it will be even after both products get updated in the near future). I think I'm no longer prepared to pay a premium for mobility when I never even take advantage of said mobility. For the price of a decent new MBP, I could pretty much get a maxed-out 27-inch iMac. So, what I'm asking is essentially if you think this whole thing is a good idea. Has anyone here switched from an MBP-setup to an iMac+MBA configuration? Do you regret it or would you do it again? Is there anything you miss or anything you particularly like about your new usage patterns?

2. cootersgarage6, Feb 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2011

Great choice!!!

That's a great choice. I am going to the same thing! This is because I like the thought of having everything synced to one full powerhouse that is in charge. You could use the iMac to sync all you iTunes data to, all your photos, videos, and thing things like that so it won't take up space on the little hard drives of the MacBook Air. You could also sync the Air to it, plus an Apple TV, and all the iPods, if you have any. That's what I was going to do!:)

3. Henry Ford macrumors member

I'm also doing the same thing. I just ordered a 27" iMac because I really wanted the extra screen real estate. I'll keep my mbp for now, but would like to purchase an Air in the near future for the super portability.

4. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

You could always get an external to use with the MBA to transform it into a desktop. With gaming the MBA may not cut it, but the newer 13" MBP that is to be released may be enough.

5. biggd macrumors 6502

biggd

Connect MBP to an external screen, buy an ipad

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I have 24" iMac + 13" MBA combo and find it great. However, if I had a decent Windows rig, I most likely wouldn't have bought an iMac. Like suggested above, getting an external monitor for MBA should make it a nice desktop if that is what you want.

7. Tyrion thread starter macrumors 6502a

I already have an iPad! :) It's nice for all my newspaper- magazine- and browsing-in-bed-needs, but let's be honest, it's not exactly a productivity beast. The MBA will be used for that!

As for the Windows-PC, I really only use it for gaming. Win7 is nice, but all my Apps are on OS X, all my workflows depend on OS X... The PC is basically a glorified console. And I wouldn't want to use the MBA as my main desktop, not even with a good screen attached. I'd really like to get into photo editing (just got Photoshop), and neither the MBA nor my current MBP will cut it. I think I still need a "real" computer at the heart of my digital hub (remember this one? :D), I'm just wondering if moving to an iMac for those needs is a good idea. It probably is, I guess... With the MBP, you inevitably pay quite a big premium for mobility, for the mere possibility of taking it off the desk and on the road. So far, I was willing to pay that premium, but now... Not so sure. Doesn't help that the iMacs have gotten far, far better than they were even when I bought my MBP in 2007. I'll have to think about this.

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Both are more than fine if you are still a beginner. You don't need to go and spend two grands on a new computer just to learn how to use Photoshop. Maybe you should try Photoshop on your current MBP before making any conclusions. Photoshop ain't exactly the heaviest app in town, I know lots of professionals who use Photoshop with G5 or early Intel Macs.

9. Tyrion thread starter macrumors 6502a

Seriously, the Air will run PS satisfactorily? That's great to hear! I'm going to wait for a while before I purchase an iMac anyway (at least until after the next update), so I'll have a lot of time to play with the Air and see what it can and can't do :)

10. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977