Going from MBP to Mac Mini?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Rob587, May 3, 2010.

1. Rob587 macrumors 6502a

Rob587

How does this mac mini stack up against my current MBP in my sig. Would it be worth it to sell my MBP to get this? How will the graphics and speed compare?

Processor 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    L2 Cache 3MB shared
    System bus 1066MHz
    Memory 4GB of 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM; supports up to 4GB
    Hard drive Dual 500GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard disk drives1
    Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory2

Ports One FireWire 800 port (8 watts); five USB 2.0 ports (up to 480 Mbps); mini-DVI output; VGA output (using optional adapter); Mini DisplayPort
    Audio Built-in speaker, combined optical digital audio input/audio line in, combined optical digital audio output/headphone out
    Networking Built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T (Gigabit)
    Wireless Built-in AirPort Extreme 802.11n Wi-Fi3 ; built-in Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR (Enhanced Data Rate)

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

As Mini has 4GB RAM, it will feel snappier. In games your MBP is better but for everything else Mini is faster

3. thecheda macrumors 6502

4. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rob587

I had a feeling thats what you guys would say... is it because its more integrated or on board graphics?

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

9400M is integrated while 8600M/9600M GT is a dedicated chip, so it's just simply faster (more and dedicated memory, more cores, faster clocks....)

6. skate71290 macrumors 6502a

erm guys... his Signature suggests that it is not a Dedicated Graphics card? nVidia 8600M never shipped with 128MB Graphics RAM, or did it? i think it is an ATI card? lol just mega confused lol - in addition, everything, spec wise is higher on the Mini, DDR3 RAM and Graphics RAM, in addition to a slightly higher Clock Speed, plus, if you are gaming am i okay to assume that you will be using Windows via Bootcamp?... the use of Flash Drives can increase your RAM even higher... kind of a pointless tip lol but nontheless, Windows does have a few tricks up it's sleeve lol

7. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

why are selling the MBP for the mini? A server mini no less?

If Im spending $1000 on a new mac, a mini is not it.

Unless of course you need a copy of SnoW Leopard server?

Why not just upgrade your current MBP?

far, far less $$$ and the performance between the mini and MBP becomes minimal at best.

what are you doing with your mac? are you doing some heavy lifting? in day to day use, you would never notice the difference between the two.

8. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rob587

What do you mean update my current MBP? Like RAM/HD/GRAPHICS CARD? What are some of my options? I was just thinking that by the time I pay for labor and parts I could just buy a decent refurb from apple. Im now thinking about a Mac Pro. What I really should do is just bite the bullet and get an iMac, but I cant seem to get myself to get rid of my DELL 20" LCD that I got like 2 years ago for $190.