Going from SSD to HDD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thetruth1985, Feb 24, 2011.

1. thetruth1985 macrumors 6502

Right now I have a 128GB Kingston SSD in my 17 inch Macbook pro and it's plenty fast. The system reboots in less than 30 seconds and most applications rarely go past 2 bounces before opening. The issue I am having is that I want to add more files to the SSD and i'm afraid the space might limit me. It has been a week since I've last restarted my computer and all of the apps I use are already loaded into ram (8gb). If I continue to use my laptop like this, would I notice any speed difference if I replace the SSD with a hard drive? I know SSDs speed up boot time and app load time so does that mean that if I rarely reboot and already have all my apps loaded, the performance of a ssd and hdd will be the same?

Btw, the hard drive I'm thinking about getting is either the 500gb momentus XT or the 750gb scorpio black.

2. laser71 macrumors regular

A WD black is a fast HDD - but can't hold a candle to SSD. There is no way around it - SSD will be faster under every scenario.

Whether or not you will really notice it or care, that's another story

3. mdgm macrumors 6502a

When you're running low on space upgrade to a higher capacity SSD. Don't go back to using HDDs.