going from tiger to leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by south8212, Nov 29, 2008.

1. south8212 macrumors 6502

So i finally got around to upgrading a couple of my powerbook g4's. Im upgrading a powerbook g4 from tiger to leopard. My question is how can i do a full reformat (not the archive install) and keep all the programs i have on it like ms office and adobe?

2. StuBeck macrumors 6502

You can't unless you reinstall the software I believe. I would recommend this though. It takes a bit longer (the install is fast, but backing up everything takes a while) but I've noticed machines are much faster and more stable after a format and install rather then an upgrade.

3. sOwL macrumors 6502

sOwL

archive and install always worked great for me. The computer gets faster than upgrading it, just like a clean install, but you keep your users settings, your files and your programs. Few programs refused to launch after the upgrade and i had to reinstall them though. Anyway, archive and install will also create a backup of your old system files which you can use to revert in case something goes wrong.

4. south8212 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replys! The problem is i dont have my keys to reinstall the software so i guess i have to go the archive way.