Going from using admin account to standard user

Discussion in 'macOS' started by agpetz, May 13, 2008.

1. agpetz macrumors newbie

I currently use one account (admin account) as my main account. I am the only user of my machine, andI have read about the benefits of setting up a 2nd account. I have 2 questions.

If I set up a 2nd account, what happens to all of the stuff in my home folder? Will I have to do anything to access my apps, music, etc?

Second, I want to rename the admin account to Admin and change the shortname, as I would like to use that shortname as my standard user account name. What are the negative effects of doing this?

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Your second account will not have access to the main account's home folder.

There is, however, a much simpler approach.

1. Make yourself a new admin account - call it whatever you want the admin account to be called.

2. log out of your own account and into the admin account. Go into account prefs and demote your existing account to standard (simply uncheck the 'allow user to administer this computer' check box).

Job done. :)

The advantage to this is that you don't have to move your data and you get to keep your existing short name (changing the short name on an account is a very bad move - it's not permitted by the system without a lot of hacking about).

3. agpetz thread starter macrumors newbie