Going from XS to 5d next week!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Jason Beck, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

Stoked! Am I going to like my 24-70L on that thing even more? I spend my days shooting portraiture and am looking forward to the change. The XS has been quite the capable camera though. I also have a wedding coming up (it's also paying for the upgrade) and am looking forward to photographing the LDS temple it's at with a full frame.

There's a link to my studio page in my sig. I can say that the XS has been my favorite thing that I have bought in the past few years. I'm going to miss it : (. Anyone else made a jump like that, tell me about your experience!

2. nonameowns macrumors regular

5d is a nice camera. It will be a new experience for you.

First camera is 1d mark i and ever since. The AF system is a beast.

soon enough you will switch to 5dm3 d: (if it ever comes out)

3. rebby macrumors 6502

I made the jump from an XSi to a 7d shortly after the 7d came out. You're going to love the 5d. I, for one, will never go back to a Rebel series camera. The 7d, once you get used to it, is so much easier and faster to use than the XSi ever was (due to insane flexibility changing exposure options mostly).

4. Jason Beck thread starter macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

Nice. Really looking forward to it. Anyone here have the 24-70L hooked up to it and have any comments on that?

5. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

This wasn't on the shopping list I gave you when you posted your camera in the Recent Purchase thread. Stick to the list, Jason...:eek:

Switching to FF will be an experience for you. All of a sudden that lens will seem a lot shorter. On your crop body, that lens is around 40-112mm and it will be a true 24-70 on the 5D. When I shot 35 mm film, a portrait lens was around 105 mm. A lot of portrait/wedding shooters have the 85 mm L lens and the 70-200 L as a sideman for it.

Welcome to "camera debt"...

Dale

6. Jason Beck thread starter macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

I know : ) ahahah It's habit forming.

7. Jason Beck thread starter macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

hey quick question guys. Well a few. What is the best sensor cleaning solution for that camera? Links? Also any reccommended memory cards for it? I won't be able to afford a genuine Canon flash at first so I was thinking of going with the:
    http://www.amazon.com/DEDICATED-SPE...7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1295693007&sr=1-7

Just for a few weeks.. Will that fill my need for a fill flash for portraiture until then?

8. steveash macrumors 6502

steveash

Hi Jason. As was said you will find the 24-70 quite a bit wider on the 5D. The perspective on portraits is often better with a longer lens. I use the 85mm f1.8 a lot on my 5D. The 24-70 is still a stunning and versatile lens though.

I've no experience of the Vivitar speedlights. They look fine enough but I generally find with camera gear it's better to get the best you can or you will always find you are missing out on features that you really need. That said, if it works with wireless triggers it'll always be useful in the future.

9. Keleko macrumors 68000

The reviews of it on B&H seem to say that if it breaks, you can forget about getting any support for it. If you send it in, you probably won't ever get a replacement. As long as it doesn't break, it seems to be fine. Some folks have had it break after 2-3 uses, so it may be a crapshoot as to whether you get a good one or not.

10. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

Don't know what your budget is Jason, but maybe consider a LumoPro flash?
    http://www.mpex.com/browse.cfm/4,14648.html

BTW, I am looking to jump into the FF money pit as well, but probably over the next 6-12 months-kinda waiting to see what the 5D3 looks like. Let us know how th 5D works out for you.:)

11. Jason Beck thread starter macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

Thanks. Yah I am reading on that right now and it seems to be a decent flash. I'll also see if I can score a used Canon too somewhere. Budget is like 200 for a flash in the next few weeks. I'll be broke after buying the new camera so it'll be pretty much after my next 2 clients when I can get the flash. Studio work has been picking up pretty decently even being winter. We have a large warehouse belonging to my father in law I set my strobes and drops up in for appointments. I do have one on the 25th so that will be half of the cost of the flash you linked me.

What does everyone else think about the LumoPro?

12. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Congrats!

I've been considering going full frame, although I would probably wait for the 5DIII but one thing that would hold me back is the lack of a comparible lens to my 17-55 f2.8 IS. The 24-70 is close but lacks IS although there is continual speculation this might be in the next version of this lens.

Is anyone else reluctant to go FF because of this?

Have folks that have switched, missed this?

13. TWLreal macrumors 6502

While the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM is unique to the smaller sensor cameras, you can use an EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM as a close match and shouldn't miss anything.

Obviously, the EF-S lens will always have a one stop advantage to the EF lens, a full frame body such as an EOS 5D Mark II, or any full frame body for that matter, will also have a one to two stop advantage at comparable sensitivity over an APS-C sensor body. In other words, you would just suck it up and have a one stop higher ISO under full frame to match the loss of one stop in light from the lens knowing the noise level will be similar if not better.

The EF-S's focal range is equivalent to about 27mm to only 88mm.

Apparent depth-of-field is also about equivalent as the EF-S lens on APS-C will only yield about an equivalent of f/4.5 after crop factor is applied.

The EF lens does come with some caveats in distortion but will make up for it in its versatility.

With all that said, suck it up and shoot one stop higher, should you really need to. It's really not such an issue. Again, any full frame body will be at least one stop better than an APS-C body, stop for stop. This simply does not matter at all for most purposes when we can now shoot comfortably at ISO6400 with some ceilings at ISO25600. It is mind boggling that we are so spoiled in this day and age.

14. Jason Beck thread starter macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

Well said. Thanks for the good information too.

15. TWLreal macrumors 6502

As an addendum, while I said most cameras now top out at ISO25600, this applies to the general populace and am aware that some will shoot at ISO102400.

But I am assuming that if you can afford the 2 cameras that can do that, you should be smart enough to know all of this and not be bothered by some minor gripes like lens selection.

16. Jason Beck thread starter macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

That is crazy iso. Mind boggling ahhaha. I think after the 5d and the flash I am going to get the 85mm 1.8. Oh guys I was also looking at this flash too:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

17. steveash macrumors 6502

steveash

I would second that. I got the 24-105 with my 5DII and it is very versatile.

With regards to speedlights I bought the Nissin Di866 and although I don't really rate the colour screen and still wish I found the extra cash for a Canon 580EX, I can say that it does a great job, well featured and has loads of power.

18. someoldguy macrumors 65816

With regards to your inquiry re: sensor cleaning , I'm assuming you're getting a 5D2 . They have a self cleaning sensor which does a pretty good job , at least for me . Haven't had to manually clean my sensor since I got the mk2 over a year ago . . If you're getting the original 5D it's another story , I try to blow off crud with a rocket blower , if that fails then I use eclipse solution and a sensor swab sized for full frame sensors. Be careful , you REALLY don't want to screw up a full frame sensor ( or any sensor for that matter!

19. Jason Beck thread starter macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

Nope getting the mark 1. Thanks for the tip of the rocket blower. Bookmarked.

20. gnd macrumors 6502a

gnd

I have experience with sensors from the following cameras: Pentax K20D, Canon 7D and Canon 5DmkII. We change lenses in all weather conditions on all of them fairly regularly. 5DmkII is the camera that I have to clean most often by far.

21. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

Voice activated light stand... designated sensor cleaner... it's a hard life :D

22. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

Rocket blower gets rid of most, but for stubborn dust I find the Sensor Klear pen quite useful. Not too sure of the availablity outside the UK though.

Oh, enjoy the 5D. I've had mine for a good few years now. Though probably updating to a 5D MkII in March. I know the 5D MkIII will most likely be out in September/November but it's probably going to be £1000 more.