Going gigabit - question though

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by micsaund, Apr 30, 2008.

1. micsaund macrumors 6502

micsaund

Hi all,

I'm thinking of going gigabit at home.

I'd have an AEX router (Gb model) connected to two Netgear FS108 Gb switches which then connect to individual machines with Gb NICs.

The question I have relates to the non-Gb devices I have, like my networked Tivo. For example, if I plug said Tivo into one of the FS108s, will it drag the whole network down to 100 or even 10mbps (not sure if it's 10 or 10/100)?

I suspect that I'll lose any jumbo frames support by mixing speeds like that, but overall, will I still benefit from having Gb vs. 100mbps if I mix and match like that? Any other tips, thoughts, or advice for this scenario?

Thanks,
    Mike

2. err404 macrumors 68020

I think you are getting Switches and Hubs confused. On a Switched network (Hubs are rare these days), you will not see any degradation of performance by having mixed devices on the network. This is because communications on Switches are routed directly between the sender and receiver.

3. micsaund thread starter macrumors 6502

micsaund

Thanks - I think I was conceptualizing the speed thing as losing jumbo frames, but I talked with a network guy here at work and he said that wasn't a huge deal other than for CPU utilization.

So, I guess I'll jump to Gb and be happy! :)

Mike

4. krye macrumors 68000

krye

Switches nowadays are dual-speed or multi-speed. As fast as the slowest device only applies to wireless nowadays. You'll be OK. I've had my TiVo in the same switch as 10/100 and 1000 computers and everyone has played nice.

On my switch, the 10/100 devices have an amber light, the gigabit devices have a green light. So the gigabit devices have not slowed down.