Going in again for image retention. Advice?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by benguild, Dec 16, 2012.

1. benguild macrumors 6502a

So I'm really getting frustrated with the image retention on my rMBP since it's inconsistent. — I went to the Genius Bar last week and we couldn't reproduce it, but I've had it since.

I'm debating asking them to swap my computer out for a BTO model since both the ones I've checked with 16GB of RAM have been Samsung displays. Since this is a computer I use constantly and plan to keep for 2-3 more years, I'm really scrambling to get a good screen.

Should I just hang onto the one with the shoddy screen and put up with this, or ask them for a swap? Do you think speaking to a manager is worth it?

2. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

3. benguild thread starter macrumors 6502a

If I leave a video on YouTube for a few minutes it'll be doing it after. The Genius Bar does a 4 minute test (I've had this test before) and I passed last time but not here right now.

4. Mac-Tech macrumors regular

Mac-Tech

Are you saying that the 1st and 2nd replacements were LG? Now you are experiencing IR issues with the LG again? I would go into an Apple Store and speak with the floor reps and tell them your situation. I am 100% they are aware of this issue and will not hassle you in anyway for a replacement screen. Just hope you get a Samsung panel. Better yet let them know "I want a Samsung Panel" that way if u get another LG they will see you at the store again.

5. leman macrumors 604

It is after 14 seconds of the checkerboard test? Than its indeed pretty bad. On my LG screen the afterimages disappear within half a second or so...

6. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

It was after 6 minutes. I haven't noticed in many other things but I've only had it for a week. How hard is it to get a samsung screen?

7. benguild thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm getting it somewhat inconsistently, but whatever.

8. benguild, Dec 18, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2012

benguild thread starter macrumors 6502a

So, with manager approval, my screen was replaced. I have an LSN/Samsung screen now and the problem is gone.

This screen immediately looked different upon initial inspection but when using the computer aside from it seeming slightly bluer it's nearly identical.

I have to say they're being really strict with these replacements. They did mine for customer service reasons and the actual test they do is 3 minutes of checkerboard, with 1 minute of grey. It needs to have checkerboard still for the entire minute, or it's a "pass".

The first time I went in, the screen had cooled off in my bag and didn't produce anything. However, this time we ran the test like 4 times and it started to do it after. When I work, it would do it constantly from working for hours.

So, I'm satisfied now, but I'm a little worried about the future of this display market considering what happened for me and what's been happening for everyone else. Just my 2-cents, but this display is way better.

9. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

Ask for part # 661-7171 [ Samsung Panel ]

It isn't hard because they are fully aware of this issue with LG Panels.

Just don't lose your cool when talking to the rep and/or manager. I don't know where in TX you are, but if you're anywhere close to Ft Worth, visit the Apple store on University Blvd.

They're usually very understanding :)

----------

Good for you!! All is well now... Enjoy the computer and [ just a FYI ] watch out for developing dead pixels [ low probability, but possible ]

10. benguild thread starter macrumors 6502a

I had dead pixels develop on my original LG display and they just replaced the computer. But, it was only a month or two old.

FYI, according to the Apple forums, part #661-7171 is not necessarily a Samsung panel. However, I can confirm this was the part number I asked for and received.

I was also told that the replacement displays aren't necessarily LG nor Samsung. However, when the part was in stock, I had a very strong feeling it'd be a Samsung given the situation.

11. TofSanity macrumors 6502a

TofSanity

I just took mine in today. The tech told me that they had the part that was "recommended" for retina replacement. The part is #661-7171 since I have to wait a few days I won't know if its a Samsung or not. I'm reading this could still go either way. Yet te tech said this was the ONLY part number they use now

12. kmuffin macrumors newbie

My image retention is really bad. I am nervous about bringing it in. What exactly should I say to ensure a Samsung screen is replaced? The product number?

13. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

roll up a dollar bill and pass him the money while saying this Mr George Washington would appreciate a Samsung screen how about you make him proud , heck maybe Thomas Jefferson will join the party once the deal is completed.