Going in for the purchase tommorow!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bhadoc, Jun 16, 2009.

1. bhadoc macrumors newbie

And this is what I will be buying... (unless you guys say otherwise!)

13" MacBook Pro 2.26 with 2mb of ram and 150gb hard drive. I am going to stay away from iwork and ilife for now. I am also going to purchase apple care since hopefully this will last me for four years. Later on I may upgrade the ram, but for now the sub 1400 price tag looks too good. Do you guys think it is worth it to get the ram increase done by apple right of the bat for 30 bux more than it would to do it myself? (takes out the hassle/possibility of screw up). Also, will they have a machine with 4 ram in the store? Or will I have to wait? Will 13" be good enough or will I be wishing for more in a year? :D

2. apthai86 macrumors member

You'll struggle with 2mb of ram!

All kidding aside, I don't think Apple will upgrade the RAM in store. You'll need to order that online (BTO). FYI, the system will already come with iLife '09 so you won't need to buy that.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The 13" is perfect for you.

Or not.

Depends on what you're using it for.

If it is just surfing, music and video consumption, papers to be written, maybe some dabble in iLife, it will work more than okay.

Also, Apple Care lasts only for three years from the date of the purchase, the first year is free, the second and third have to be bought extra.

And depending on the store, they will have a 4GB model.

4. Surely Guest

Surely

Yes, you don't have to purchase AppleCare until the day before the 1st year is up.

5. arthursiew macrumors 6502

arthursiew

You should upgrade the RAM and HDD by yourself since it's much cheaper than doing it with Apple. I also suggest that you should buy AppleCare from third party sellers. If you feel uncomfortable on buying AppleCare from eBay, buy it from places like Amazon since they sell it for a cheaper price of $199. You should really consider iWork though. It's pretty cheap, and you can also download the trial version on Apple's website. iLife is already pre-installed into your computer, so you won't have to pay for that.

BTW, the computer has 2GB RAM and 160GB HDD.

6. bhadoc thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool! Thanks for the quick responses fellas. As you can see this will be my first mac! :). First computer self-bought, actually. Hmm, so I can buy apple care through amazon?? That would save some money for sure. Will I still get all the same benefits as I would if i got it from the apple store?

7. ABernardoJr macrumors 6502

You would be correct, getting Apple Care from Amazon would be the same as getting it from the Apple Store, although cheaper if I'm not mistaken. Have fun with your new notebook, I'm still a few months away from my turn to buy another new notebook lol :D

8. arthursiew macrumors 6502

arthursiew

Buying any Apple Product from any place is fine. If anything happens to any of your products, you can still take it to the Genius Bar. Your new MBP will be a great computer. Congrats on your switch!