Going into video editing...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ryannuffsaid, Jun 15, 2007.

1. ryannuffsaid macrumors newbie

As the title says, i'm going into the video editing business. I've been using adobe premiere for all of my movies, but now i crave my first mac. My predicament is that I have a budget of around $2500, including tax (California). I've basically narrowed it down to the basic mac pro with an old CRT that I have laying around, or a completley maxed out 20" iMac. Any suggestions would be helpful.

thanks!

2. Igantius macrumors 65816

I’m not too au fait with US prices, but that looks like you mean the 2.0GHz MP. I understand you’re on a tight budget, but that model isn’t very good value for money when you consider the increase in processor speed versus the increase in cost. However, I’m reasonably sure that refurb 2.66GHz PMs go as the same price as new 2.0Ghz machines; if this has been already taken in consideration in your original post, apologies but I’m not used to dealing in US currency.

Either machine would do you, but…. the PM would be the better move. It has FW 800 that the 20” iMac doesn’t, you can upgrade the processor, internal storage solutions etc.

3. jarinehart macrumors newbie

I also do audio/video work and recently had to fight with this decision. I used to work on a G4 powermac 933 and i was on a tight budget (just bought a camera) so i decided to get the 20in iMac. I have been very pleased with it and it's performance using FCE and ProTools 7.3.

In my situation any new computer would have been a great upgrade. And it is a bonus to increase to the 20in screen (over the old 17" Apple CRT). I know it (imac) is limited on it's upgradability and peripherial plugs, but if you are just starting out I believe that it would be a fine investment on the imac, besides it will only take a couple of jobs to earn enough money for the new machine.

4. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

The Mac Pro would definitely get my vote. It's faster, will take more ram, it's more upgradeable, you can fit up to 4 hard drives internally and you have a reasonable choice of video cards ..... :)

5. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

6. jshbckr macrumors 6502

This is definitely something to take into consideration. If you're producing commercial work, you'll need a full copy of Final Cut Studio (2). My recommendation would be to try to get more money. If you're opening a business, you should be able to get grants or loans of some sort. You could get a extremely well equipped 8-core Mac Pro with a copy of Final Cut Studio 2 for under 7,000.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'll vote for the Mac Pro as well. I don't think you'd be happy with the iMac.

8. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

Priorities....

Fifteen years ago a bought a $5000 computer-cut vinyl sign cutter and I was going to put every other sign shop in town out of business with it. Well that didn't quite happen, I made every mistake in business. But I learned some important lessons and somehow made a living from it for quite a while. I found a niche in the market that I learned to service very well (making custom vinyl banners) and once I had that figured out, I advertised it and made a sh*tload of vinyl banners! So here are my condensed rules for succeeding in any new business.....

1) Are you SERIOUS about going into business and actually making real quit-your-other-job money, or do you just want an excuse to buy a new toy? Think about this one long and hard. Do you really want to stay-up for 48-hours straight cutting a watchable 20-minute video out of 20-hours of garbage VHS tape that wasn't white balanced properly and wasn't shot with a tripod or a decent microphone? Your reputation depends on it, dude.

2) Know your market -- your customers, your competitors, your true costs of doing business -- in advance. Successful businessmen often spend six months researching their market before they even open their doors. Their plans may change 180-degrees from what they initially intended. Then they usually do really, really well.

3) Choose a tiny niche in a very big market, and service it very well.

4) Don't get lost in the technology. An old iBook G4 running iMovie should still be perfectly capable of making decent money in the video editing business, if you reach the right customers.

5) Take $1000 of your $2500 and use if for targeted advertising. If you take the time to learn your market, you'll know exactly where to spend it.

6) Always deliver exactly what you promise.

Good luck!

9. ryannuffsaid thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, you guys are really helpful!

Well to answer a couple of questions...

Obtaining Final Cut is not really an issue for me right now, so it isn't included in the budget.

I'll be going into college in the fall, so I'm not going to quit my day job yet. BUT, I am 100% sure that i'm going to be an editor. It is something that I love to do. I basically wanted to make sure that the mac will last in the long run, and it sounds like the mac pro is the one for me.

Instead of using an old CRT, will the older ACD's connect to the mac pro? I've seen some around for pretty cheap.

10. TaKashMoney macrumors 6502

I am a college student who has been making videos as a side business for several years now. What are you exactly planning on doing? I use a Macbook with an external monitor and a external HDD. It takes care of all my school work/portability desires and provides a really great editing environment. I use a combination of iMovie and Final Cut Studio 2 depends on the nature and timeframe of the hired job. I also make many independent projects on the side. It just sounds like a strange to claim to declare to go into the "editing business" and I was wondering if you could elaborate.

11. Igantius macrumors 65816

No - not sure if you can get an adapter to enable you to do this. However, with prices the way they are, you can pick up a decentish largish flat screen for not too much money - personally, I would rather pick up something new and in warranty.

Have fun!

Presumably this is to help advise him on whether to go for the iMac or Mac Pro?

12. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

As far as a display goes, I would shop around www.newegg.com for a display.

I would love to have some sort of Apple display, the problem is you end up spending so much money on having a "nice looking" display when you'd be fine with another brand.

I just bought a 20 inch ACER LCD display for 190 dollars, I haven't turned it on yet (tommorow mac pro) but I think that is a hell of a deal.

13. jshbckr macrumors 6502

That's a route you can take, I did that, but now I'm wanting more. I've got a 19-inch widescreen non-Apple monitor, but realize now how I'm not happy with the resolution, contrast ratio, color depth... I want more. Not to mention when you're using a Mac, it feels a lot nicer to have the nice monitor looking back at you.

14. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Just some follow-ups as someone who still has a day job, but moonlights as an independent in the field - I would describe myself as a polished amateur but getting better all the time.

1. This is a verified truth - either give every project your all, or watch your business dwindle...

2 & 3. Don't be afraid to do niche stuff if the market is crowded, experiment too - I specialize in converting VHS for senior citizens who have no clue how to work computers

4. Well said, you don't need pro equipment to do professional work. But it sure helps. Your artistic vision is the key. Better tech might give you more options, but they don't replace creativity. I use an iMac g5 for my converting and editing business. It gets the job done. Sure I wish I had something flashier but it would kill my profit margin.

5. Be prepared to spend LOTS to get your name out there if you do want to make this your day job. It took me three years to get a decent client base on shoe-string advertising (and I still have only enough for part time work).

6. Under-delivery is the quickest business killer. I am lucky to have survived some of my half-assed bungles.

15. newportmac macrumors member

FF.. what are the specs of your mac pro? 2.66? Did it arrive yet?

16. ryannuffsaid thread starter macrumors newbie

I know it sounds cheesy and impossible, but I see myself editing major motion pictures. I know it's a "networking" industry, but for someone that just turned 18, I have been told that I have alot of talent. My girlfriends dad does professional visual fx (original star wars trilogy, edward scissorhands among the hundreds) and my next door neighbor is a production manager for universal. Plus I've been doing volunteer work at my local tv station. I think it is plausible that i can become successful.

17. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

I'm picking it up from the Apple Store tommorow morning.

Here are the specs (with the parts im putting in)

Quad 2.66
    3 gigs of ram
    250 gig drive + 320 gig drive
    7300 GT
    Airport extreme
    Applecare
    SuperDrive

I can't wait until I get it!

18. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

It's not cheesy or impossible. There's no right way to break into the business. You could go to an undergrad film school or you could go to a typical liberal arts college, and then go to a grad film school or both. You could also use the connections you have to find an apprenticeship with an established editor. I would advise towards the latter.

19. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

If you can afford to defer the starting of your business I would most definitely wait until the next update. We should expect to see the Mac Pro line 8 core across the board.

It is also a chance to save more money for your business! :)

20. FocusAndEarnIt macrumors 601

FocusAndEarnIt

I highly doubt 8 core across the line.

HIGHLY doubt it.

If you need it, buy now. If you don't, wait.

21. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

I think it is possible. With the next round of price adjustments the 8 core chips will fall to current 4 core prices.

If Apple failed to update accordingly to market trends... well you are just paying 2 year old prices for 2 year old processors.

Quad core is so passe and 2006. Even a script kiddy can get a quad core Peecee nowadays.

22. ryannuffsaid thread starter macrumors newbie

arrrghh, i keep changing my mind...

I'm thinking of going 24" iMac now, because of the price, and the fact that i don't need to get an lcd monitor. unfortuanatly, i need to make up my mind by the july 1, because i need the free nano for a gift for my girlfriend.

sure the mac pro is expandable, but i dont really need all of that power right now. i already have a laptop, so i dont want to get a macbook pro.

decisions, decisions.