Going iPad only -- the other way.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Meyvn, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Meyvn macrumors 6502

I was reading through the thread about trying to have an iPad as a sole machine instead of a PC at home. Given the simplicity of it, it could be an appealing idea, but it isn't one that appeals to me personally; at my home, space is not at a premium to the degree that it is elsewhere. However, one place space IS at a premium, is on my person.

That's (part of the reason, at least) why, a year ago, I tried going with my phone, and just using a 3G iPad for all my portable needs, using Google Voice for my phone number & text messages, and Skype to place phone calls. I later tried out Talkatone, which allows you to place VoIP calls directly through GV just like you could on your PC in the browser. Unfortunately, the UI was just so godawful I didn't stick with it, and went back to Skype for voice calls.

It was a neat experience in some ways. When in the car, I could make my calls through an adapter connected to my aux in port. When walking about, I had the headphones with the built-in mic (as opposed to holding an iPad in front of my face all the time).

As much as I loved my iPad, though, I slowly realized that it wasn't something I wanted to keep on my person at all times. So, rather than maintain the same capabilities I'd always had at the expense of doing this, I started altering my behavior and expectations. I began leaving the iPad in my car, and simply not having a phone on me when I'd go into places with friends. This was obviously a double-edged sword, and one that usually didn't hurt me in any significant way.

More and more, though, the size of the iPad began to bother me. Eventually, I sold it, and went back to using my iPhone 4, simply without a service contract; I would just rely on WiFi and nothing else. Again, this was a behavior changer; when driving around and needing resources, I'd pull into a McDonald's, Starbucks, Chick Fil-A, etc, for free WiFi. It was never crippling, but it always carried the risk of my being without at a bad time.

A few days ago, I finally caved and picked up an H2O SIM, which seems like the ideal balance, for now; I don't use the services much on the go, but have them when I need them. And I'm still not blowing $60-100 per month on a costly plan I don't use that often.

I'm still waiting patiently for a data-only iPhone or iPod touch, which is what I really want. The carriers, unfortunately, are proving incredibly resistant to that idea.

Has anyone else tried something similar?

2. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

It's nice to have choices and a data connectivity only device would be a helpful change.

I dont think our current Cell carriers are not about to give you that anytime soon.