Going mobile

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maxmaut, Apr 17, 2014.

1. maxmaut macrumors regular

Hello to MacRumors!

So I'm a iOS app UI/UX designer, mainly use PS, AI, ID for designing, I use cripting for creating generative design pieces like this one and FinalCut for making videos for my band, like this one

So in 2012 I bought myself a MacPro to cover all this needs. It's a '09 8-core 2.26 machine, added 32GB of RAM, 128GB OWC SSD and GTX 660 Ti with 3GB of RAM. I have triple monitor setup (1 for watching movies as I work on rest two). So this is my current setup.

I am changing the way I work now, and will have to move a lot, so obviously a desktop is not a best option for me. I want to sell it and buy a macbook pro, probably one with retina.

So my main concern is – I don't want to loose much of the machine's capabilities. Obviously I'll have to work on just the notebook's monitor, so I guess 15'' is the way to go (my wife has 13'' macbook, and that's way too small screen to do design work, like when the navigation bar in Illustrator gets collapsed, and to access some features you need to click on titles — that slows me down extremely).

So now I have to figure out which particular model I need. Definitely one with SSD, and I guess 256GB is minimum (my 128 is not enough to host home folder, OS and all the apps).

Now the processor is a dark horse for me. My 8 current cores sometimes get overloaded while executing scripts, but that task not occur that often. Also, when I'm working in FinalCut, video rendering is not lightning-fast (but I'm a being a little picky here), and I would not like to face drastic changes with this too. But I just don't know which processor I should look for. I've seen Geekbench scores, but only the top-tier pricy models show score close to my current, and I'm not sure if that's gonna work the same in real life)

Considering RAM – after I got myself 32 GB I forgot what is lag in Photoshop. I am really, really scared that If I downgrade to 8 (I guess that's average nowadays) I'll face some drastic drop of performance. My wife has 8 on her macbook, and PS doesn't work that smooth, especially with big files.

So the fun part is that I have a budget for this dream-machine. It's either $2k (actually $1.5k would be a better, as I'll have some money to eat, but I know that's probably not realistic, and I'll have to starve a little), either the money that I'll get from selling current machine (if someone'd buy it), and I have no idea how much that's worth nowadays.

So I'd appreciate any ideas, help, suggestions regarding what to choose or even the pricing.

One last thing is that I love to work fast and efficiently, so I always was a fan of slight overkill machines, as I never noticed the computer itself, and always focused on the job itself.

Thanks, guys.

2. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

Well at that price and wi those requirements you really only have one good option, which is the base 15" retina MBP with a 2GHz processor, 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD for $2000. Make sure you check to see if you're eligible for a student or business discount, it migt save you a couple hundred dollars which you could put towards the 16GB RAM option.

I'm alwaysk skeptical when people say that they need tons of RAM though. In my experience (including video and photo editing) I almost never actually use all 8GB.

The processor won't be as fast as your mac Pro, unfortunately that just doesn't exist in a laptop yet.

3. maxmaut thread starter macrumors regular

I forgot to mention that I am only looking for refurbished or used macs.