Going naked? Apple Care+ or not?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jrmmm, Sep 11, 2014.

1. jrmmm macrumors newbie

Hi,
    The iPhone6 will be my first iPhone, and i can't stand using a case for my phones. I really like to feel the phone itself, its thickness,... I always buy a case that I barely use a month before getting annoyed with it and then I use my phone naked. I'm always paying attention to my phone, I put it in a pocket with noting in it, to protect it against scratches,...
    I'm thinking buyting applecare+, what are you planning to do guys ? Is applecare worth it?

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I always get Applecare + or whatever they call it for the iPhones in my family. It is well worth it in my opinion.

3. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I bought Applecare + for my 5. I have never used an iPhone with a case, except for short-lived use of the infamous bumper. However, in the past I always skinned my phone, and sometimes used a screen film. For my 5 I never put a skin or a screen protector on it and never had any issues.

I did have to take my 5 in this year for some issue with the battery and camera and they replaced it on the spot. I didn't have to pay for the replacement because it was covered by the 2nd year warranty part of Applecare + and not the I was stupid and dropped it part.

However, I am also on contract and don't want to be out $650 to get a new one if I mess it up. So for me I will pony up the extra $100 for the piece of mind.

4. Cryates macrumors 65816

If you are going naked, THEN BUY APPLECARE+

So many people make the mistake of not buying it when it covers anything that could happen to your phone. I buy it for every phone I purchase.

5. MacMonkey13 macrumors member

6. bueller1 macrumors 6502

$99 plus tax. then $79 for each accidental damage replacement (you have 2)

7. brittany0613 macrumors member

Definitely AppleCare. Even with a case (was more decorative than protective though), I dropped my phone onto tile from only about 2 feet off the floor, it hit squarely face down on the screen and shattered. $99 now is well worth it.

8. eoblaed macrumors 68000

eoblaed

Always naked. Always AppleCare+

The only times I've had to use my AppleCare, a case wouldn't have mattered (my 3GS went through the washing machine, and my wife dropped her 5, in a case, but from enough of a height that it still dented the phone and cracked the screen).

I am very careful with my phones. I posted photos a week or two ago of my year-old 5S and it still looks new.

9. rhaezorblue macrumors regular

rhaezorblue

We have a few cell phone repair companies in town that will replace your iPhone screen for $100 flat. This of course doesn't cover you jumping into the lake with your phone in your pocket.. but if you are careful with your devices, the cost of replacing your screen once at a private repair shop is less than going Apple care plus the fee they charge per repair.

10. mashinhead macrumors 68020

I always go naked. And always get Applecare. I can throw it against a wall and walk in to and apple store, and walk out of an apple store with a new phone for $90.

11. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Sorry but AppleCare is for more than just replacing your phone because of a crack.

iPhone batteries, generally, don't start having issues until 16+ months later. That puts you well outside of the traditional warranty, and no phone support to boot.

AppleCare is worth every penny; you may not use it every time, but I assure you Apple does treat AppleCare customers better than non-AppleCare peops.

12. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

i've always gotten apple care.

i was contemplating not getting it this time since we're going with next to get new phones next year... but i guess maybe i will anyways!

13. Shabbis macrumors regular

I've owned iPhone 1, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4 and iPhone 5. Have never purchased AppleCare+. I plan on purchasing it this time though when I pick up my 6+ 128GB commando-style.

14. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

Hmm, I'm confused...

A friend of mine had an iPhone 5 and the screen shattered. Although she had Apple Care+, the Apple store refused to replace the unit under warranty, even though she was prepared to pay the $100 deductible (or whatever the amount is).

That's what made me skeptical of purchasing Apple Care+ for myself, but now I'm curious. Did she get shafted?

We're in Canada, btw. Not sure if that makes a difference.

15. Ashtar macrumors regular

Yes, she did get shafted. She should have called Applecare to complain. That's what applecare+ is for...you pay for it, if anything happens, you go in, pay the deductible (which is $79 now, I think) and they fix it or replace it.

I only think you can do this twice, though.