Going naked with AppleCare+

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Heisenwood, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Heisenwood macrumors newbie

Hey all,

First of all, this forum is fantastic - so much great information, help and advice. I have a quick question though, and wondering if there's anyone else who's in a similar position...

I've rarely used a case on previous iPhone's. I bought the official black leather case for my 5S and it was nice, really nice, but I'd sometimes take it off to use it naked, until one day I took the case off and didn't put it back on again...for about nine months.

I've always taken great care of my belongings, and have never dropped a phone (*touch wood*), however I'm contemplating going with the iPhone 6+ and given the size, how it's said to be a little trickier to hold and a little more slippery than previous iPhone's, plus the whole fiasco about it "bending", do you think AppleCare+ is a wise option? Especially as it'd give me the added benefit of being able to use the phone naked?

I just know that I'll buy a case and then stop using it, but then I wonder if I'd just be wasting money by purchasing AppleCare+? Has anyone here, especially in the UK, purchased it? Would you recommend it?

Looking for some advice to help me make a decision... I've decided on the colour, I've decided on the amount of the storage, this is the third and final hurdle! :D

2. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

Well, I had a case on my 6 and still managed to shatter my screen last night. Took it to the store today and it was $119 CDN plus tax to replace the screen or $329 CDN plus tax to get a replacement 6.

During this process I told myself that I'm going to get AppleCare+ when I buy my next iPhone so I can use it naked.

It's still cheaper to buy AppleCare and pay the $79 for a replacement than paying $329.

So yeah, I would if I were you.

3. LaynieGorilla macrumors 6502

This is my first year out of four that I decided to buy AC+. I am a Very clumsy person and have broken my phones on many occasions. Even if your not clumsy, I'd do it for peace of mind since you definitely know that you'll be going naked.

4. Dave Meadows macrumors 68030

Dave Meadows

Hey, I'm wondering the same too. I always buy cases then end up going "naked". I have the plus and the Apple leather case. At the moment I use the case in the week and take off at weekends. I've also bought AppleCare. Like you, I'm stuck! Don't know what to do. I can't help, hopefully more will post.

5. Heisenwood thread starter macrumors newbie

Ha! Well, that makes me feel a little better, the fact that I'm not the only one!

jbyun has pretty much sold me on going with AppleCare+, though. I was thinking it was a one or the other scenario, a case or AC+, but like in jbyun's example, a case might not do anything to protect the phone and the cheaper option would be to go with AC+. In that case I'd be better off saving the £30 or £40 that I'd spend on a case and enjoy the phone in all of its naked glory.

Thanks for the replies so far.

6. pogoyoyo macrumors regular

Here's the silly part about applecare +. I shattered my 6+ screen and Apple said they would replace the screen because the phone is in working condition.

I said what? I paid for applecare+ i expect the whole phone to be replaced.

They said nope the phones working we only replace the screen, so I literally, in front of the rep, took my 6+ to the corner of a table in front of him and bent it. Then I asked if i was getting a replacement phone now. I did, but the sheer look of shock on the guys face was priceless.

7. Dave Meadows macrumors 68030

Dave Meadows

Only thing is is that the iPhone Plus is a little bit different to previous iPhones. (3"is'is's?!)

8. BeatCrazy macrumors 65816

I have the 6 Plus, running naked, and definitely went with AppleCare+. I have not dropped it yet, and never cracked an iPhone screen.

Come to think of it, I've been running my iPhones naked since the 4. But the Plus definitely takes more paying attention, due to the size.

I do use a Lifeproof Nuud on my work iPhone 5. That combo feels indestructible.

9. thalazy macrumors regular

I would

I am tempted to get Applecare + with my 6 plus. I can really tell just by using it for a day that this is one slippery phone. I almost dropped it once last night, so I bought a case off amazon last night to be safe. In a month or two I will likely buy apple care for the phone as thin and light as it is I can see it being very easy to damage even though I have yet to do so with any of my smart phones. Better to be safe than sorry.

10. bushido Suspended

bushido

if you do it over the hotline you get a brand new phone before you even have to sent in the broken one

11. Heisenwood thread starter macrumors newbie

When you say you might buy AppleCare+ in a month or two, it has to be purchased within sixty days of the purchase date of your phone. Just in case you're not aware, as waiting two months might be cutting it a little too fine.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

This is the first time, I went with AC+ on my iPhone. Given how thin it is, and seemingly more delicate. I thought it was a no brainer to get the extra coverage.

13. Zxxv macrumors 68040

you don't need apple care to use your iPhone naked. Even with applecare you will get arrested in the uk if you cause a disturbance to the peace walking round naked. It doesn't protect you in that way.

14. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

15. ToddH macrumors 6502a

ToddH

Good luck! The 6+ is slippery in the hands. Also with it being so thin, it's hard to hold especially in the wintertime when your hands are dry...

I have the 6+ space gray, 128gb and love it. I have several cases because I like variety and I want to protect my investment. Use a clear case if you want to show the phone off. I have the otterbox commuter and it feels great... Consumer reports says it takes 90+ pounds to bend the 6+. Just don't sit on it hard while in your back pocket.

16. thalazy macrumors regular

Wasn't aware.

Thank you for the info. I was not aware so I will definitely be doing that within the next month.

17. Heisenwood thread starter macrumors newbie

Having owned a white phone for so long, I'll be ordering the Space Grey too. If I was going to get a case, I'd prefer a silicone case to the leather case though, since they're a lot more durable, but I don't know if any of the silicone cases "fit" with the Space Grey...? Red looks the best, maybe white too, but they're all so bright. I'd love the midnight blue or brown one, I think they'd fit a lot better, but not in leather. And I don't like "unofficial" cases for whatever reason. I know, such a huge problem to have, right? Ha! Thanks for your input though, it's something to keep in mind.

----------

No worries at all. I'm glad I could help.

Zxxv - loved your post!

18. Bahroo macrumors 68000

Yeah I got applecare + on my 6 Plus and im rocking it naked with just a ghost armor screen protector, applecare+ is very worth it imo , gives great piece of mind

19. Radiating macrumors 65816

Apple care plus only covers 2 replacements. It's not so great in that regard.

20. Billit macrumors member

I have a iPhone 6Plus with AppleCare and a silicone case. Tried using the phone without a case but found it difficult to pick it up off from the table because the phone is so thin and slippery.

21. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

I've always gotten ac plus on my iPhones. Again I just wanna reiterate that the iPhone AND accessories are covered as well. The Lightning cable, charger, and EarPods are also covered, and replaced at no extra charge for the 2 years. Good value imo. I've gotten a few cables replaced and EarPods replaced no problem.

22. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I did apple care for a few years and ended up never using it. I stopped with the iPhone 5s. If it covered theft (even at a higher deductible) I would consider it. As it stands, I am happy just laying for a screen replacement should I need one. If the phone gets smashed to bits, such is life. I'll pay the $300 something for replacement. I've always used a case in part because I like the look and feel and in part because it adds grip to the device. Enjoying the brown leather and it's aging nicely.

By the way, the OP mentioned something about durability. When I rolled over s car hood in a run and my 5s in green leather case went flying, the case scuffed in two corners but kept the phone mint. My wife tosses her phone around and her read leather case looks great (nicest looking case after the leather has aged imo). Just something to thibk about. Unless you are planning to best the hell out of the leather case I don't think durability will be an issue. Adds good grip too.

23. Dave Meadows macrumors 68030

Dave Meadows

24. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Side note: AC+ on an iPad is a must. The screen replacement cost are crazy high.