Going Naked?

JLH81

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2016
Hi All!

What are my options if I don't want to use a screen protector? I had an S0, and didn't have a scratch when I sold it. Is this the same exact glass? I do have Apple Care plus which I could use if I needed to.

Anyway, I put on a screen protector, and I just hate how it looks on these watches. Is anyone else going naked with no significant issues?

Any thoughts?

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Hi All!

What are my options if I don't want to use a screen protector? I had an S0, and didn't have a scratch when I sold it. Is this the same exact glass? I do have Apple Care plus which I could use if I needed to.

Anyway, I put on a screen protector, and I just hate how it looks on these watches. Is anyone else going naked with no significant issues?

Any thoughts?
You never specified what type of Apple Watch that you actually owned previously, however; yes, the sport model still utilizes the Ion-X glass and the stainless model uses the Sapphire display, which we all know is very highly scratch resistant. I never have used a screen protector or any bumper with the my stainless models, and no scratches at all. Some will say the sport model display scratches easier, which I would say depends on what the display comes into contact with.

Comment

bodonnell202

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I’ve never used a screen protector or bumper on my Series 3 aluminum (now just over a year old) and it still looks fine - there are a few superficial scratches but nothing too noticeable.

Comment

lclev

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2013
Ohio
I am on my fourth aluminum watch. I have never used a screen protector and I never scratched any of the screens. The only thing I did scratch was the side of my space grey S2. I smacked it against a door jam - ouch! Normally I don't tend to be hard on my watches.

Lisa

Comment

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I’ve been using my Apple Watch naked since it arrived around a month ago.

I lost my job thanks to that and the cold wind on my body is really bracing in these winter times, but I’m sticking with it and I feel much more confident as a result.

Comment

canyonblue737

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2005
The difference is obvious here in the already posted responses to this thread... if you get a glass model expect minor marks/scuffs in everyday use but likely nothing terrible since the glass is very strong. If you buy a sapphire crystal model? Well I've owned a S0, S3, and S4 and smashed the heck out of it into brick walls, metal edges etc. and there has never, ever been a single mark. Bottom line, glass will get minor marks like an iPhone screen over time, sapphire won't. Your choice and I'm not saying sapphire is the right one, glass likely will be "good enough" for most people.

Comment

eoblaed

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2010
At least it's a lot easier to go naked with the watch.

With the phone, it's tougher. No pockets or anything means you have to hold it the whole time. Lame.

Reactions: keysofanxiety
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.