Going nuts! AX won't share net with others

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by AfterMyNap, Jul 7, 2007.

1. AfterMyNap macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm a newbie here but not to Mac.

I have the strangest problem, my airport network works flawlessly for me and my computer but when clients jump on, it says that they're connected to the internet via my AX, but no one else can load a webpage.

This has stayed the same through two laptops and now two ISPs. I'm fairly certain it's some setting I've botched but I just can't figure out which one.

I'm set to distribute IP addresses in the utilities. Suggestions are most welcome!

2. Jestered macrumors 6502

You could always reset the Airport base and reconfigure.

3. AfterMyNap thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, Jester, I did that and whatever I'm doing is the same. I confess, I'm not a heavily savvy user like most of the good folks around here.

4. JoeJoeJoeJoeJoe macrumors newbie

Is the wireless mode set to "Create a wireless network" also is the computer that works connected via airport, or ethernet?

5. AfterMyNap thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Joe, it goes wall to dsl modem, modem to AX by ethernet cable, and signal to Macbook no problems.

When others (Mac or PC) join the network it says "connected to internet" but won't load web pages. Mine works fine.

6. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

Are you using MAC address filtering? That would surely explain you being able to connect, but not ad hoc clients.

7. AfterMyNap thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, RB, I have no idea! I don't think so, is it in Admin Ut?

8. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

It's in Airport Utlity, look at the "Access Control" tab of the Airport icon. If it's set to Timed Access and you see some hex addresses, then MAC address filering is on.

But someone would have had to explicitly set that up. Doesn't happen by default.

9. AfterMyNap thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, RB, that's not set up, so we're clear there. I have begun to wonder if I've simply been using a faulty AX for these two years. Hm.