Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thaurin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
Hi,

I've been wondering the following. I've been testing on a jailbroken iPhone so that I can actually try and see and get a feel of developing for the device, since I'm not very happy with the Simulator. Would going official with Apple's Developer Program cause any problems for a jailbroken phone? That is, would a full restore be necessary? I hear that the steps involved to set your iPhone and Xcode up are kind of overwhelming. I thought that maybe somewhere along the process it would mess with the stuff I had to do to jailbreak it.

Thanks.

mccannmarc

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2008
Manchester, UK
you wont have any issues, my iPod Touch is jailbroken on 2.1 firmware (not for development just for the sake of being able to have games like quake etc on it) and I use it for official sdk development.

mccannmarc

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2008
Manchester, UK
Although if you jailbreak it and run your apps that way you won't be able to distribute your apps on the app store unless you pay the license fee

Thaurin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
Thanks for the information. I won't worry too much then.

Indeed, about the only valid reason I can think of to buy into the Developer Program is to be able to distribute any applications that I make in the App Store. Since I'm an amateur as far as iPhone and Mac development goes, and have a day-time (development) job, I'm not ready to commit to that until I'm ready and sure that I'm up for it. Until then, I want to know what the full experience is like (and I feel that is my right).

Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.