Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mrfatboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 15, 2008
My uncle is going to Asia for 3 weeks. He will be travelling to Vietnam, Cambodia and Hong Kong. He has an ATT iphone 5. He wants to get sim cards that work in all 3 countries with DATA.

Where can he get the SIMS? What company? Can he buy in states beforehand? Cost? Simplicity is best.

Also, is there any way to turn his iphone 5 into a hotspot with these sim cards while he is travelling? My aunt wants to use her ipad also.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

seeharrison

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2011
My uncle is going to Asia for 3 weeks. He will be travelling to Vietnam, Cambodia and Hong Kong. He has an ATT iphone 5. He wants to get sim cards that work in all 3 countries with DATA.

Where can he get the SIMS? What company? Can he buy in states beforehand? Cost? Simplicity is best.

Also, is there any way to turn his iphone 5 into a hotspot with these sim cards while he is travelling? My aunt wants to use her ipad also.

Any help would be appreciated.

Does he need voice and data? or date only?

iPhoneTrip offers data only sim cards that you load only the number days you need. They have an unlimited plan for $16.99 a day that works in 11 Asian countries. I have not personally used them, but they seem to have good reviews. (https://www.iphonetrip.com/)

Mrfatboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 15, 2008
thanks. I found that also. I will look more into that. Anybody have any experience with iphonetrip?

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
First, you need to find out if his phone is unlocked. If not, he'll need to buy an imei unlock so he won't have to roam.
Hint: if he paid contract price, he's locked.

Mrfatboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 15, 2008
I'm not sure of AT&T iphone 5 (contract). I got an verizon iphone 5 (contract) and I know it's unlocked.

dalerus

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2012
I'm not sure of AT&T iphone 5 (contract). I got an verizon iphone 5 (contract) and I know it's unlocked.

His ATT Phone might be locked.

I can only speak about Cambodia since I live there.

He can get a "CellCard" brand sim at any market cellphone vendor. If he is in Phnom Penh, he should goto Central Market and visit VIP cellphone shop. They will take care of him.

Should be around $15 for the sim. He needs to make sure they have cut it down to fit the nano-sim. We don't have the iPhone officially here, so no one sells a real nano-sim card.

Cell card is $5 for unlimited data, and I buy prepaid cards (which you can buy everywhere here), which for a month of use cost me around $10.

Vudoo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
Dallas Metroplex
iPhoneTrip is way too expensive.

This is what I would recommend.

1. Get the iPhone 5 unlock. Unlocked Fusion on eBay is what I used.
  2. Purchase a nano-SIM cutter unless your uncle is comfortable with cutting SIM cards down to size. He will need to do this with 3 different SIM cards.
  3. When he arrives to each country, just buy a pre-paid GSM SIM card and pop it into the iPhone and activate it. Add more money when necessary.
I used Viettel when I was in Vietnam this year. I had some issues with the Cambodian SIM card, but that may be due to not cutting it correctly with scissors. And if you ever end up in South Korea, they don't sell pre-paid SIM cards to non-residents.

outie2k

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
Does your uncle use a lot of data? Is he comfortable with switching the tiny sim and/or cutting sim if needed?

If the answers are all no, please consider going with AT&T's international data roaming which will save everyone a lot of troubles.

800MB - $120.00
300MB - $60.00
120MB - $30.00

To be honest if you aren't going to use a lot of data and you aren't staying at 1 country for long, it's a hassle to buy local SIMs for $15-$25 each.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
Just have him buy an unlock code from ebay. Then just buy a nano sim card cutter and he should be able to buy pre paid sims in the places he goes too.

Vudoo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
Dallas Metroplex
Does your uncle use a lot of data? Is he comfortable with switching the tiny sim and/or cutting sim if needed?

If the answers are all no, please consider going with AT&T's international data roaming which will save everyone a lot of troubles.

800MB - $120.00
300MB - $60.00
120MB - $30.00

To be honest if you aren't going to use a lot of data and you aren't staying at 1 country for long, it's a hassle to buy local SIMs for $15-$25 each.

I'm very weary about the international data plan. I bought it last January before I went to Vietnam. During my trip, I got a text saying that my data usage was over the limit. I called AT&T and was told that Vietnam was not included in the list of covered countries and I had a $200 bill for 20 MBs of data. They ended up crediting me the overage charge and the international data plan fee. When I went back to Vietnam in May, I did the unlock and local SIM and it was a lot cheaper.

Mrfatboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 15, 2008
I'm very weary about the international data plan. I bought it last January before I went to Vietnam. During my trip, I got a text saying that my data usage was over the limit. I called AT&T and was told that Vietnam was not included in the list of covered countries and I had a $200 bill for 20 MBs of data. They ended up crediting me the overage charge and the international data plan fee. When I went back to Vietnam in May, I did the unlock and local SIM and it was a lot cheaper.

It says here that Vietnam is one of the countries on the ATT international plan.

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/i...V4IS0000000000U&wtExtndSource=globalcountries

Vudoo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
Dallas Metroplex
It says here that Vietnam is one of the countries on the ATT international plan.

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/i...V4IS0000000000U&wtExtndSource=globalcountries

I've used the international data plan in Canada before and didn't have a problem. It's fine for someone who doesn't want to mess with unlocking and swapping SIMs, but you will get killed in terms of cost even if you add international roaming, long distance, text and data. Of course you can just put your phone into airplane mode with wi-fi on and depend on hot spots.

I have family and friends in Vietnam so I need to make local phone calls. And data does get eaten up easily. I was using maps for directions even when I was using a taxi just to make sure that they were not taking the "long route". It will depend on what type of user your uncle is and doing a cost analysis. I will be in Vietnam for a week and Thailand for a week next year and will be using local SIMs, then again I use my iPhone a lot for internet. Of course I will have to depend on airport wi-fi when I am in Japan for my layover.

corry20

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2006
Going to Canada need a Canada Sim Card

I have a Iphone 4S and I'm going to Canada.I'm going to call Sprint to unlock my phone.Can I just go to a Rogers or Bell store and get a sim card to put in my phone?How does this work?I just want data only.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.