Going on holidays to the USA with iPhone 4 and iPad

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Alicepire, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Alicepire macrumors newbie

Hey folks,
    I'm going on a half family holiday/half business trip from Australia to the US at the end of Jan for almost a month and I'm trying to work out what to do about getting prepaid calling and data for two iPhone 4s and 3G iPads. Obviously, we don't have a US credit card, so anything that requires that is out. I'm going to need a fair amount of data on my phone (can you tether in the US? Is there free wifi everywhere that I can use on my MBP?) but 100mbs on my iPad should be fine, and the other iPhone and iPad won't need much data at all.
    I've tried to do some research, but it's all kinda confusing, especially with AT&T having iPhone exclusivity and me not knowing how that effects prepaid stuff.
    Please pardon my uber n00bishness to the US phone thing.
    Thanks for your help!

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Yes, in the U.S there are plenty of wi-fi hot spots (i.e. McDonalds, Panera Bread, Starbucks, Dukin Donuts).

AT&T allows tethering in the U.S. but you have to pay $20 a month to use it. Most have jailbroken there iPhone (like me) and have bought tethering apps.

You could use your iPhone on T-Mobile's prepaid service but in order to do that you need to unlock your iPhone.

3. Alicepire thread starter macrumors newbie

Whoever I go with I'm gonna have to unlock my phone from Optus. Is this new Verizon thing going to be of any use? Or does that come in too late?

4. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Verizon's network doesn't use SIM cards and uses different technology to what current iPhones are compatible with (hence why Apple is having to release a modified version of the iPhone 4 in order for it to work on Verizon), meaning they won't be an option for you.

5. Alicepire thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

No worries at all mate. I'm in the same boat as you, traveling from Aus to the US soon and would love to know the best way to be able to use my iPhone over there. Hope someone will be able to help with the rest of your questions :)

7. Mr Mot macrumors member

If we can get our hands on a T-Mobile pre paid SIM, I think that'd be the best option.

It's just knowing which one to buy and how to activate it..

Or can you simply walk into a T-Mobile US store and ask to buy a SIM?

I'll take my SIM cutter over if that's the case..