Going on vacation with atv

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Nychot, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Nychot macrumors 6502a

Renting a house with wifi. Want to bring my atv. What am going to have to do to get it working (hopefully the 40 inch flat screen has hdmi). So hiw to set up. Tips most appreciated.

2. mic j macrumors 68030

know the router password :D

3. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

1)Plug it in. (Power and HDMI)
    2)Enter the Wifi Information.
    3) Enjoy. ;)

4. AtomicEdge macrumors regular

Don't forget to take your remote with you. I usually use the Remote App and completely forgot that you can't use that until it's on the wifi...

5. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

without the wifi password not only is the remote app useless but the whole atv would be as well

6. Mr-Kerrse macrumors 6502

Why would you need the router password ?

I take mine on holiday all the time, all you need as said is the wifi password

7. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

yes the wifi password is set on a router so both answers are the same

8. Mr-Kerrse macrumors 6502

Not really a router password is the password used to access the settings on your router. A wifi password will be supplied by the hotel :D

9. Soulweaponry macrumors 6502

^This guy's a smarty pants!

10. OptyCT macrumors 6502

This is the best piece of advice given. I went on vacation, forgot the remote, then had to go buy an overpriced ethernet cable to hook up to the router. Luckily, the router at the house we were renting was near the main television. If I had the remote, all would've been well.

11. EvilC5 macrumors 6502a

I bring my airport express along with my apple tv, go wired into the ae and then create my own wifi

12. dynaflash macrumors 68020

Since the OP didn't specify which rev of atv ... I will assume atv 2 or atv 3. That said imo this was one huge advantage of the atv 1. Internal storage. I use my atv 1 up at my cabin where we don't even have internet access etc. Works a treat. load up 150 GB of movies, stick it in a duffle bag and plug it in when I get there. Fantastic. Just a thought.

13. G5isAlive macrumors 6502

good point, brings up another question and one I should be able to look up (so I apologize), but for you to use airplay with the ATV do both devices have to be in an established network or can they communicate directly (so you can play movies on your phone on your ATV) and thus avoid the dreaded have to know the local wifi password (not that I am avoiding the great router password debate of 2012)?

----------

could you have bought another apple remote? or no store on hand? Just curious. When I forget things like that I find overnight delivery to work wonders.

14. djharris macrumors member

Note that hotels are not likely to have HDMI input to the TV. (So you can't go around ordering in-room movies, video games, etc.)

This probably isn't true for the OP since he's renting a house, not a hotel room.

15. jamesdmc macrumors 6502

i travel a lot for business and I've found that most hotels I stay in now have flat screen TVs with HDMI inputs. Whether or not the input is active is another story.

But as you said, the OP is staying in a house, so the point is moot.

16. babens macrumors member

Also hope that it's a newer wireless router. I found my ATV3 did not do very well on the wireless G router that Time Warner had supplied. I bought my own N router and the increase in performance was pretty astounding.