Going out of the country

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by d0c, Mar 10, 2012.

1. d0c macrumors newbie

and want to reactivate my old BB.. I'm on verizon with a jailbroken 4s.. If I activate my BB, I assume my iPhone automatically becomes deactivated.. Will there be any problems reactivating the iPhone when I return because it's jailbroken?

I'm only going for a week and don't want to bring my iPhone

-d0c

2. matbook101 macrumors 6502

matbook101

Just get a prepaid phone in the country that you're going to.

3. labman macrumors 604

labman

talk to Verizon about switching them over it should be a simple easy process just tell them exactly what you told us.. cellular stores often don't recognize a jb device or care about it much. last time I took mine to at&t they passed it around like a cool new toy.

4. d0c thread starter macrumors newbie

i have an old blackberry that has global capabilities laying around and want to bring that.. it has all my contacts in it already

5. labman macrumors 604

labman

if your using GSM or (Sim Card) overseas your Verizon iphone would not be affected since Verizon uses a CDMA network.

6. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

If you have a 4S, then you can get the sim slot unlocked for use with international sims. However, your capitalization leaves much to be desired.

7. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

^ This. I remember reading somewhere a while back that if you have a Verizon 4S, and you've been a customer in good standing for like 90 days or something along those lines, Customer Service will unlock your SIM slot for non-domestic use. This means that while you won't be able to use T-Mobile, you will be able to use GSM or HSPA carriers outside of the United States. :)

8. labman macrumors 604

labman

He said he didn't want to take the iPhone! He wants to take the BB just fallowing what TS wants and what he/she asked. if the BB is unlocked for GSM networks then it would not effect your CDMA acct.

9. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Is this because the OP doesn't know that the iphone can be unlocked or for some other reason that hasn't been made clear? Perhaps it's just me, but it'd seem as though it'd be simpler to unlock the active phone. Instead, the OP is going through the rigamarole of activating another phone, deactivating it, then reactivating the phone s/he wants to use. The latter seems infinitely more complicated, but that's just me.

10. Pathfinder3, Mar 12, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2012

Pathfinder3 macrumors member

You shouldn't have to reactivate your old phone. Hopefully your phone is unlocked. I took my BB with me to Japan. I had to get it unlocked before their (Softbank) SIM card would work. I got a new iP4S, an upgrade so my BB is now deactivated, but I can still drop a Roshan SIM and use it while I'm here in Afghanistan.

To find out if your device is unlocked do this:
    1. Go to Options
    2. Advance Options
    3. SIM Card
    4. Type MEPD (You won't see any text appear as you type)

If it says "Inactive" or "Disabled" by Network then you're good to go.