Going overseas to Philippines, best way to configure iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by SirithX, Nov 26, 2009.

1. SirithX macrumors 6502

SirithX

I'll be going to the Philippines in December for 3 weeks, I know that AT&T's international data rates are ridiculously expensive, what is the best way to still be able to use my phone over there? Ideally, I'd love to still be able to make calls, text and use data, but I realize all that may be asking for too much.

So what options do I have? Could I turn data and phone off and still text there? How about jailbreaking and maybe buying their disposable SIM cards over there to use?

2. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

Jailbreak & unlock. AT&T's data roaming package is costly. And that's before you make any actual phone calls.

Just have a friend or relative buy you a pre-paid SIM before you land and give them the $ when you get there. Prepaid is pretty easy to find/get there. Just tell them what you want and they can make sure its the right one. That's what I did. My cousins love hooking up their American cousin. lol.

You can check this site out for some info. The SIM's aren't free anymore but it'll give you an idea of what you can get.

3. SirithX thread starter macrumors 6502

SirithX

Awesome, that's what I need to know. So do these SIMs only work for calling texting locally there? I know a lot of them only text too and don't bother calling. I wonder if there's any reasonable way to use data over there.

4. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

Yes, you can make calls. Of course! But texting is the favorite way to communicate and its cheaper than an actual call. There is data and I think they charge in time increments & kb.

I can't remember which is which but one charges in 30min increments (connect as many times in that 30 min) and the other by 15 min increments (but charges per connection). It's like 10p which is about $.20. Just make sure you get a 3g sim. As with any other prepaid SIM, don't buy it at the airport. It's way cheaper at a local store. It's about 40-60p (about $1-$1.50) and you can "load" aka top up in different increments but there's a time limit on the load depending on how big it is so get a big load. (hehe)

5. likegadgets macrumors 6502

6. Jancsika macrumors newbie

cool, this can be usefull, im gonna be travelling a lot too :)