Going overseas with my macbook pro and need adapter

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AppleFreak89, May 25, 2010.

1. AppleFreak89 macrumors regular

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Bring your existing charger and get a plug adapter. $5 at radioshack or your country's equivalent. The International Traveler kit is basically a scam.

3. AppleFreak89 thread starter macrumors regular

The thing is I've heard horror stories of people's electronics dying/frying. I figure this way at least its backed by apples

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Not really. There's nothing particularly special about a plug adapter. If a faulty outlet fried your machine it wouldn't matter which plug adapter you were using. If the Magsafe itself fried it also wouldn't be the plug adapter's fault.

5. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

I, too, am going to Vienna in the Fall. Will a cheap travel kit off eBay work?

6. AppleFreak89 thread starter macrumors regular

oh and do I need to worry aboutt voltage converters with ipod??

7. romeo26 macrumors member

will surge protectors help protect the mbp when overseas?

8. rkuntze macrumors member

I purchased:) the International Travel Kit several years ago and found it very helpful. I still am using it and don't regret the purchase. I did buy additional adapters for other items I carry: Electric Toothbrush, and Electric Shaver, etc. Often my travel companions would come to me for an adapter.

The important thing is that your device states that it will work with the voltage you are using. ie. 100-240 volts. Look on the device or the transformer/power block for the information.

I've used my MBP all over Europe, Asia, Australia, Africa and South America--never had a problem.

9. AppleFreak89 thread starter macrumors regular

so you used the one that i linked?? great! cause it says its for ipods so I wasn't sure! how about the plane adapter:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB441Z/A?fnode=MTY1NDEwMQ&mco=MTA4NDE2Mjc

has anyone used this? and is it worth it, or should I just get a DC to AC power inverter and connect my laptop to that?

10. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

11. neversaynever macrumors member

neversaynever

you can get one from the street at any country. I made my friend get a mbp for me from the US and I'm using it in Turkey. (European plug) with a $2 converter. don't worry' the power brick is capable of regulating anything inbetween 100V and 240V. Alternatively the thicker end of the power brick can be changed with wherever you're going's outlet type. also at least in europe surges are rare, I have yet to see any surge protectors in homes.. We have stable electricity mostly.

12. mingoglia macrumors 6502

Like others have said, the powersupply will work between 100 and 240. Just go to Radio Shack and get the adapter. You don't need a actually voltage transformer, just the adapter to adapt your plug to the appropriate plug you need for wherever you're traveling. The adapter will cost you around $5 if I remember correctly. When I first traveled to Europe I bought 3 or 4 of them for the various devices I needed to plug in. Just about anything electronic chances are will work between 100 and 240, just check the input voltage stamped on it. Things such as blow drivers are voltage specific. Just look at the label.

13. AppleDNA macrumors newbie

Also, be aware that you might experience *minor* electrical current transfer from the metal case of your MBP when using an ungrounded plug in another country. It's nothing to worry about, but can be annoying / unnerving if you don't know why it's happening.

14. Tom71 macrumors regular

Tom71

Somehow that just sounds ODD.

15. ron1004 macrumors 6502

ron1004

I also travel lots (recently Africa, Korea, UK, China and US) and haven't had a problem.
    I use a regular "Figure " power cable plugged into my white power brick.

16. wildjohn999 macrumors member

Yes you need the adapter but that $39 USD kit is all you need to travel with your MBP. I bought one a year ago and so far so good, my MBA has been with me on two continents.

If you read the fine print in the product description: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB974ZM/A

You just replace the slide off power plug with the correct one for wherever you are going. The instructions in the box tell you which plug works for which country's electrical outlet.

17. seza08 macrumors newbie

I too am traveling in a few weeks to Ireland. I have a macbook and a 60w MagSafe power adapter. So you think I won't risk frying anything if I just get a standard adapter for the UK plugs, and not buy an actual power converter?

Thanks in advance!

18. ron1004 macrumors 6502

ron1004

Absolutely no need for a power converter.

19. seza08 macrumors newbie

Thank you, I appreciate it!
    :)
    The more money I can save the better.

20. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

no power converter necessary, good luck on your trip! let us know how the mbp holds up!

21. rmitchell248 macrumors 6502

no converteres required. I live in Turkey and use my Macbook Pro power adapter with a $1.15 plug adapter. I have used the same on my 27 imac and 13 black macbook for years. We have the same power here and my adapters works while in all of Europe, i was just in Germany last week and was in Italy before that! Your mac power adapter is good for 100-240V and 50-60HZ. This will be the same with most all video cameras and digital cameras as well just look on your charger for the 100-240 50-60hz and plug that bad boy in:)

I attached a picture of my adapter!

Also, if you are leaving in more than 2 weeks you can send me your address to rmitchell248 @ yahoo . com and I will even put one in the mail to your house for you no cost I can buy them here for a about 1.15 USD like I said and would be more than happy to send one your way:)

Attached Files:

22. ron1004 macrumors 6502

ron1004

Attached picture shows my arrangement for travel and home, because it gives me more length / room to maneuver.

Cheap and practical and no voltage converters needed.

Attached Files:

23. neversaynever macrumors member

neversaynever

hi! are you turkish or expat?

24. rmitchell248 macrumors 6502

Still a good ole us citizen:). My wife and i are here with the DOD

25. wesrk macrumors 6502a

Good thread. I'm moving to Oxford this September and I was just thinking about doing a search for adapters and such.