Going overseas

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by daooof, Nov 15, 2011.

1. daooof macrumors regular

Though I'm only going in June, I will be spending a summer throughout Europe. I usually just leave my phone at home when I go overseas (I'm a highschool student) but this time I'll be without my family and obviously don't want to be without a phone for 2 months. I have an iPhone 4s now and I was trying to weigh up my possibilities.

I know that I could buy a cheap phone while I'm there, but then I wouldn't be able to use data well/apps on my phone. I came across unlocking it and I was wondering how viable this was. I've heard that some European data plans are INCREDIBLY cheap for pay as you go (I would probably just buy an Orange SIM card or such).

If unlocking my iPhone is the best way to go, please let me know that. Also if any of you have any experience with European carriers, please let me know about that too.

If unlocking it is the best way to go, will I face any possible snags with AT&T/Apple? I'm still on my father's account, so I don't want to get AT&T or someone on his case, so let me know about that too.

Thanks in advance,
    Daniel

2. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Unlocking the phone is the ONLY way if you want to use your own phone (You can sell it and pay full price for a factory unlock from Apple once they are available)

Now, there is not currently a way to unlock an 4S, and there is not guarantee that it will be one before you have to go in your trip.

3. daooof thread starter macrumors regular

You didn't really give any more information than I stated in my question...

4. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Actually, he did answer your question. Since you have iphone 4s, currently there isn't any option for you.

1. No jailbreak,
    2. No unlock.
    3. Even you contact AT&T, they will not unlock it for you.

So, you are stuck with AT&T and you can't use this phone oversea with other sim at all.

5. wpotere Guest

He did actually. If you have a 4S there is no unlock currently available. However, if you have a 4 or lower you could possible unlock it and use it overseas.

Type of phone, iOS version and baseband would be helpful in helping you.

6. daooof thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry if I'm naive in assuming this, but by the time June comes there is a high chance that unlocking/jailbreaking will be available, right?

And what I really wanted to know was assuming that it was available, would i be able to get cheap data and what would AT&T think of it.

7. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Your welcome...

Message was very clear.... you got a 4S...currently you got NO options for unofficial unlocks

and No, Chances are actually very slim that you will have a Unlock for the 4S current baseband by that time frame. (still plausible, but very slim)

Now in the case that there is one, At&T won't have anything to say if you are oversee, and what type of plan you can get, will depend on the GSM service provider on the country you will be, most people what it does in your case is to get a Prepaid plan, which aren't really that "cheap" but no very expensive either.

8. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

Sell your contract 4s and buy an unlocked 4s.

9. wpotere Guest

Not necessarily but if it is, that is an option. As for AT&T, they won't know thus they won't care as long as you are still paying them.

10. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

That's what i told him, but he either didn't read, or just decided to ignore it

11. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Some general information.

The issue of unlocking has already been covered.

You might want to consider buying a cheap phone but if you do so you have to get one that is unlocked. You can pick up a pay as you go phone from Carphone warehouse and all their phones are unlocked except the Iphone. They sometimes have special pricing from a particular carrier which will require a small Top up for that carrier but you can then use the phone on any network. If you buy a Pay and Go phone from a carrier it will be locked to that carrier.

There are multiple GSM carriers in each country "Five in London" and in addition you have resellers. There is no one size fits all SIM that is going to give you a local number and cheap calls in all countries. You will often find the Resellers at airports and train stations.

An example of a reseller I have used is LEBARA http://www.lebara.co.uk/
    I believe they use the Vodophone network and offer something like 200K of data per day free at least they did the last time I used them.

You are going to have to research every country you are going to.

12. daooof thread starter macrumors regular

What would the point be of me buying an unlocked iPhone? I would still have to adhere to my 2 year contract I've signed with AT&T wouldn't i...

13. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

The point being is that you can use international SIM cards without the need of jailbreaking. But yes, since you got a discounted iPhone already, you have to complete your contract or pay to break it.

14. eastercat, Nov 15, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2011

eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

If you don't buy the factory unlocked, your choice is no data/voice or $xxx amount in roaming fees. When you roam, the data charges add up fast.
    With the unlocked phone, you're stuck on the contract (since you committed yourself) but now your trip to Europe will involve whether you want to top up your sim card.
    Do what you want, but don't be naive enough to think there'll be an unlock available.

15. TC25 macrumors 68020

To repeat - So you can use a cheap, non-ATT SIM while you are overseas.

Yes, you will still have to pay for this mistake. Your choices are now between more expensive (buying a factory unlocked phone and selling your locked phone) and most expensive (keeping your locked phone and paying ATT for data overseas).

16. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

What's so hard to understand?

Having an unlock iphone means you can use other GSM provider around the world.

17. daooof thread starter macrumors regular

That's what I thought exactly... so basically I can pay $400 more for an unlocked phone when there is a chance, if small, that I an unlock might be available before I leave.... Seems like waiting to see is the smart choice.

18. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

There is always a chance but a very small chance. A lot of people have been waiting for a longer time then few months. It's your choice. I think an unlock iPhone is worth every dollar but that's to me because i do some travels. If you don't then there's no point.

19. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

If you're not traveling to another country before this, then waiting is a viable option for you. However, you'll have to decide at some point and you should have a contingency plan if you aren't going to save up for a factory unlocked phone.
    As for carriers, the information on rates, etc. is available online.