Going paperless: need an OCR + document management app

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mgpg89, Mar 27, 2011.

1. mgpg89 macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

Hi,

I'm thinking about going completely paperless next weekend. Scanning every bit of paper I have in my desk and storing it safely on my HDD.
    However, I will need:
    • an OCR app
    • a good document managing app (preferrably with tags and a folder structure)

Can anyone recommend any of those apps?
    Price is not an issue, I really just want this done right.

Thanks in advance!

2. Maloney, Apr 14, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2011

Maloney macrumors newbie

Going paperless

I just purchased the desktop APP called "Paperless". I simply scan my receipts and documents and the app s very simple to use. I sent a message and the powers that be are thinking of trying to include the camera on the iPhone to send photo to the paperless app.
    I was anxious to go 100% paperless so I purchased an external hard drive for my iMac to keep a secure back up and now I am scanning all my tax information, warranty info and equipment manuals. This is great!,,

3. kakamobson macrumors member

4. ehoui macrumors regular

Really? That looks terrible and the one review is not good. Are you a user of the app or the developer?

5. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

How did it go? Did you go through with the scanning already? Are you still looking for anything?

If so - what languages/character sets do you need the OCR to support? Should it support handwritten text as well as printed text? And do you actually need OCR if you tag the documents?

My cheap old Canon scanner came with driver support for scanning documents into multi-page PDF files, and the built-in OCR works decently for text as long as the characters are printed A-z or so. No support for handwritten text or umlauts and so on, but they are still quite searchable and easy to print or share.

For now I just give the scanned files sufficiently detailed file names and store them in structured folders, but I used to have a program that could manage everything with scanning & tags. If you are still looking, I could try to dig it up, I think it was pretty decent.

Always beware of newbies posting recommendations... Especially if they just joined and only have one post, or have multiple posts that all recommend apps from the same developer. :D