Going Retro - Downgrade to 1.0

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by SkippyThorson, May 24, 2010.

1. SkippyThorson macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

What I've always wanted to do with my iPhone was go back to the beginning, back in 2007, when the iPhone was just getting started, and all it had was the bare minimum. Before all the apps, before all the new features, etc.

What I was wondering was would I be doing any harm if I downgraded to 1.0, or any of the 1.X firmwares? Would the baseband attack and brick my iPhone?

Since the new iPhone is going public in a matter of weeks, I figured that I'd ask this before I try it, and if the worst happens, I'd be getting a new iPhone anyway.

(Before anyone asks why, I just like retro stuff.)

2. SkippyThorson thread starter macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

I'm not usually one to bump, but...

I'm going to guess it hasn't been done? :p

3. ranguvar macrumors 6502

I did exactly what you're thinking about maybe one month ago. I downgraded my iPod from 3.1.3 to 1.1.5. I didn't encounter any problems. I have reverted to 3.1.3 recently though, because 1.1.5 is extremely limiting on the iPod Touch.

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

The only person who would even think of doing this besides the two posters here in this thread is no longer with us. So, in answer to your question no one would want to, which is why you’re not getting responses. Have at it.

5. SkippyThorson thread starter macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

Awesome news, thank you! I actually miss when my iPhone was just simpler. Before iPhone, I was one of those use-a-phone-as-a-phone people. Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to my pending upgrade to iPhone 4. :)

You mean Elvis Presley?

You would have seemed more intelligent keeping quiet. You successfully just offered nothing useful. Good try - keep posting!

6. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I was actually wondering the same thing a few weeks back.

I have a 3GS so as my backup first gen just kind of sits around collecting dust I thought I'd take it back to 1.0. I ended up quitting at 2.2.1 but am curious about how much effort it would take to finish the job.

7. SkippyThorson thread starter macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

Actually, in the "New To The iPhone World" thread, the second post gives you every link for every firmware for each iPhone as available.

I assume you mean you were going backwards one firmware at a time, the way you said you "ended up quitting". I believe you should have no issues just downloading firmware 1.0, selecting it with the Option+Click or Command+Click on the Restore button (I forget which it is), and going from there - as the other user noted above.

I plan on trying this soon, so I'll report back with my results when that happens. I wanna try it soon, but I don't want to go iPhone-less should the worst happen. I'll probably do it the day before I head to get the next iPhone.

8. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I don't know if you would be able to downgrade to 1.0. I have only been able to get my original iPhone back to 2.2.1 and as it is, the handful of apps that still work on 2.2.1 is very small. There are ways to get those versions of apps that were around when 2.2.1 was the latest and I have done that but of course, only for apps that I do own. Even then, the choices are so limited, it's not worth it. I still have my original on 2.2.1 only because of an app that Apple rejected for 3.0.

Downgrading to 2.2.1 was not easy. Simply restoring to 2.2.1 would fail and I would have to use a modified version to even get it to work. Restoring to an old version is not as easy as clicking on restore and selecting the old version.

I took my original iPhone to work with me last night and I ended up not using it at all because the apps on it work best on 3G or WiFi. I felt lost without my 3G or 3GS.

9. SkippyThorson thread starter macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

Interesting. The difference is I really don't care about the third party apps if I'm going to have the new iPhone, so it wouldn't make a difference if I lost any of them.

I think I really need to look into this one then. It may not be as easy as I thought. I figured that if 1.0 worked on my iPhone way back in the day, why shouldn't it now? :confused: Interesting little issue.

10. hexonxonx macrumors 601

The difference is the baseband has been updated since 1.0 was out, several times. That makes it more difficult to go back.

11. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Hey, you’re the one who bumped a thread. I responded to why you weren’t getting a response and actually helped bump your thread further. No reason for the insult.

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

hahaha man it's sad I know who you are talking about right off the bat:eek:

13. hexonxonx macrumors 601

The spa...... :D

14. SkippyThorson thread starter macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

Apologies. Insult retracted. Thank you for re-bumping after I had already gotten a reply.

Hmm. Suppose I may give up on my dream then.

15. qnc macrumors member

I have been able to get my phone back to 1.1.4. It was pretty easy but you do have a chance of screwing up your phone if the base band has not been written correctly. Found Information here http://thebigboss.org/guides/20-to-114-downgrade

the second part of step 6 is were you could screw up the phone.
    I have successfully used this multiple times when 2.0 was not popular yet and just recently to get my original 8 gig back to 1.1.4

I was also wondering if I could get back to 1.0 just for kicks. mabye with iPhone 4 out I can find a cheap one to screwup.

Also anyone going back to 1.1.4. the best place to find any working apps is http://iappcat.com/
    It is one of those make it your own installer source places. Seems to be still going strong although some of the apps can not be downloaded do to dead sources a lot still can. It pulls from active sources.

I have summerboard, there is a modified customize for 1.1.4, themes and other stuff.

good luck