Going Retro!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dantay, Oct 11, 2008.

1. dantay macrumors regular

dantay

Having had an iPhone 3G since launch day and a number of replacements for cracking/dust/negative blacks/scratched bezel etc I was and have been disappointed with apple's choice of a plastic case.
    My mate had had a problem with his 2G iPhone (internal chip in the glass) and took it to his local apple store, they swapped it for a new 2G. I far preferred the design and quality of the 2G to the 3G so offered him a swap, I'm now the proud owner of a last gen apple iPhone and am i'm far happier with the 2G! I know technology wise its a backwards step......but I far far prefer the quality and design of the old iphone. The fit and finish is far better and the aluminum back feels nicer, also the screen has far more detail in dark areas and isn't yellow! Wondered if I was the only person to own a 3G first and back track to a 2G? :apple:

2. DMC-12 macrumors 6502

DMC-12

I feel exactly the same way. I am trying to find a good way to acquire an original iPhone without losing too much money on the sale of my 3G.

3. elbirth macrumors 65816

well, the "dust/negative blacks/scratched bezel" issues have absolutely nothing to do with Apple's choice of a plastic back. the first gen iPhone suffered those exact same issues as well. in addition, instead of cracking, the first gen suffered from dents in the case (aluminum tends to get dented, since it can bend without cracking like plastic)

I honestly don't see how any of that can make you dissatisfied with the 3G's design. I actually much prefer it over the original iPhone and have had no hardware issues at all with mine since I got it on launch day.

You might not like the look, and that's fine- we all have our own preferences. But don't try to pass all of those issues, which are just as prevalent on the original, as reasons why you dislike the 3G.

At the very least, I hope for your sake that you got your plan switched when you swapped phones, otherwise you're paying more per month for a plan you can't even fully utilize since you no longer have 3G capability.

4. Hudzilla macrumors 6502a

Hudzilla

So the first gens bezel didn't get scratched? And there was no negative blacks?

5. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

I have to completely agree. I got the 3G on release day. Now, after having it for a few months I switched to a 16 GB 1st gen. Couldn't be happier!

6. dantay thread starter macrumors regular

dantay

I'm saying that the 2G is clearly a better quality product and a nicer design (in my opinion). I went through a lot of 3G's with QC issues.....I didn't get one that was perfect and this 2G is. Its just a nicer piece of industrial design (in my opinion). I always find it funny when people get defensive over hardware....this is just my experience and i'm glad your pleased with your 3G. :apple:

7. elbirth macrumors 65816

I'm not defensive about it at all. My point is that the issues you stated have nothing to do with the plastic back. You like the design/look of the original better and that's fine. I disagree, but that's irrelevant.

The fact is, I got lucky by having no hardware issues with my iPhone 3G. You were unlucky and had problems with yours, and then when you swapped it with a friend (who you stated had a problem as well and had to get his 2G iPhone replaced) you finally become lucky by getting a phone with no hardware issues that you're currently aware of.

Apple's quality control sucks pretty badly, yes... I agree 100%. However, it's not limited to the iPhone 3G. You stated yourself that your friend's 2G iPhone had a crack in the screen from underneath, and that is a quality control issue as well. It's all a roll of the dice when it comes to something like this that is mass produced and the level of quality control is sub-par.